Sundown Audio

Loudness, Eq, Bass Boost.....

shooter69

I understand I need to turn all of these down when setting my gains with a DMM. But once I do set the gain, should I not mess with the loudness, EQ, and bass boost? If I can mess with them, how much do I turn them up?

(1)Fi BTL 15

(1)AQ 2200d

4.33 Cubes~33hz

Big Three done

XS 1200 in the back

bass boost shouldnt be needed... it is best used to compensate for music that isnt as bass heavy as rap

loudness affects all notes so it shoudnt be needed since its like an eq... except that it adds 3 dbs to every note which u probably and almost never need (hypothetical #)

an eq helps even out the peaks found in ur equipement/setup and should not compensate for to little of something

id rather need to turn things down on an eq than up!

a properly set gain makes a world of difference to the need to funtions like bbe, loudness, bass boost

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

bass boost shouldnt be needed... it is best used to compensate for music that isnt as bass heavy as rap

loudness affects all notes so it shoudnt be needed since its like an eq... except that it adds 3 dbs to every note which u probably and almost never need (hypothetical #)

an eq helps even out the peaks found in ur equipement/setup and should not compensate for to little of something

id rather need to turn things down on an eq than up!

a properly set gain makes a world of difference to the need to funtions like bbe, loudness, bass boost

Hmmmm.....no, it doesn't. 'Loudness' is a simply psychoacoustic trick. The human ear is far more sensative to mid-range tones than low or high. 'Loudness' boosts the low and high frequencies and tricks the brain into believeing that the tone is clearer, louder and higher fidelity. If you have ever seen a DJ's graphic equaliser, often you will see a 'smiley face' curve, showing a boost at low frequencies tapering off to no boost for mids, then rising again for boost at high's.

An equaliser is exactly that. An EQUALiser, and it should be used as such. They are designed to be used to even out the frequency response of an entity or device, or in some cases, the environment. Decaf is right though, it is much better to reduce gain with an EQ than to add gain. Spot on.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

upon further inspection and googling i did find out that when set properly the loudness feature utilizes a larger curve at low volumes and supposedly there is virtually no curve after ~65% volume

good find mick, i always thought it was an all frequency booster :fool:

this makes the bass mid and treble sound like they are the same level throughout the volume range used

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

upon further inspection and googling i did find out that when set properly the loudness feature utilizes a larger curve at low volumes and supposedly there is virtually no curve after ~65% volume

good find mick, i always thought it was an all frequency booster :fool:

this makes the bass mid and treble sound like they are the same level throughout the volume range used

That's the one dude, spot on. Although only some devices taper off their curve, many keep it which leads to some interesting damage. Best destruction I've seen was melting butter on a titanium compression driver diaphraghm. Mmmmm, did that smell GOOD.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Archived