Second Skin Audio

Could I Add A Port To A Sealed Box?

And if i tried that would it have bad results?asking cause i already bought a sealed box but now want sum ports?

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

i would doubt its a good idea.. usually a ported box would be a bit bigger then the sealed on the same subs, if its within the ratings of the manufacturer it should be ok

what subs and how big of a sealed box you got?

never mind i see you have soundstream 15's.. they would probably need a bigger box for sure ported, i wouldn't just add ports just build a ported box you would be much happier

Edited by RatBass1998

15" LMS Ultra

AB VFL 200.1 3kw+ rms@ 1 ohm <-- 500.1 in near furture

3.5 cubes at 34 hertz

2 Exide Orbital's

200 Amp EA Alt

125 sq ft BXT

believe me i would build it,but shop is charging 350,another one is 250,that's money that i do not have.and me well i cant build really good and i dont have any tools in order to make anything really.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

i bet someone on either here or roe would build you one way cheaper then any prices you said, i just don't wanna see you fry your subs

edit: i sold two 15w3's to a good buddy of mine, we built him a sealed box for his trunk it sounded great and did well.. he called me a week later and said he wanted his money back one of the subs fried and the other sounded horrible, and thats what he did he just added two aero ports to this box and poof

Edited by RatBass1998

15" LMS Ultra

AB VFL 200.1 3kw+ rms@ 1 ohm <-- 500.1 in near furture

3.5 cubes at 34 hertz

2 Exide Orbital's

200 Amp EA Alt

125 sq ft BXT

Then stay with your sealed box or ask a couple of your friends if they have tools....building boxes isn't something your just automatically great at (unless you did woodworking before) you gotta try and try agin you'll get better eventually.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

well do you know anybody that will do it?i have them in a 2001 pontiac grand prix?and he added the aero ports on a sealed box and messed up teh speakers?

Then stay with your sealed box or ask a couple of your friends if they have tools....building boxes isn't something your just automatically great at (unless you did woodworking before) you gotta try and try agin you'll get better eventually.

my friend might have tools,but say i do build a box what materials would i need in order to make a box?

Well heres what typically happens you take a sealed box which is typically much smaller than the ported spec you add aero ports and you end up with a tuning extremely high (50hz+) and when I tries to play a low note it unloads the driver or the box is too small the cone can't move enough to cool the VC and it end up smoking the coil.

My YouTube Videos

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

my friend might have tools,but say i do build a box what materials would i need in order to make a box?

-glue

-screws

-enough mdf/birch (NOT PLYWOOD/OSB)

-carpet/paint

-possibly resin and glassmat**

-some 2x4s or threaded rod (for bracing)**

**Note: not required but a good idea if the box is large.

My YouTube Videos

Well heres what typically happens you take a sealed box which is typically much smaller than the ported spec you add aero ports and you end up with a tuning extremely high (50hz+) and when I tries to play a low note it unloads the driver or the box is too small the cone can't move enough to cool the VC and it end up smoking the coil.

so im pretty much better off with the sealed box for now.hmm thanks i learned something new today :) .but say i do build a box what materials would i need in order to make a box?