How Do Amps Create Dc Current To A Speaker?

Guest aseanj52

Guest aseanj52

How can a amp create a DC current into a speaker? I have read clipping causes it. How can you tell if your amp is clipping? What kind of damage would this cause to a sub?

Kinda want to know.......don't want him to blow anything else.....like his amp.

use an o-scope to watch for clipping

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

ahh i finnaly found some one else wit hte zx2500.1 quick question. does your amp get hot. like real hot on some days warmer days?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Club 150 (15x.x)

Youtube

Future Build:

1x 15" T3 TSNS

2x Sundown Audio SAZ3000d Parellel strapped

Guest aseanj52
ahh i finnaly found some one else wit hte zx2500.1 quick question. does your amp get hot. like real hot on some days warmer days?

Not mine, my friends. But yeah it gets really hot some days. Just being on.....

It does get pretty warm. I bought that stinger 8" fan from darvex.com and have it blowing on the amp now and it stays cool to the touch.

Your amp sends AC to the speaker, not DC.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

I'm sure rusty doens't mind quoting a few lines of some PMs but here is how this whole ordeal came about:

"I had a question also about your set up, did the woofer smoke in your ride or did you plug it into the wall? I only ask because the leads on both coils were burnt in half and the coil was just short of ash, in 5 years of building subs ive never seen a coil that charred. dosent matter to me either way i said kill em =] just wondering. if you werent trying to smoke them and they got like that there not going to last very long."

"Do you have a voltage meter? Maybe that yellow top isent providing enough reserve? Burnt coils and lead wire is caused by to much heat, heat is eith to much power for a woofer, really bad clipped signal (too much voltage input,too high of gains for amount of voltage imput/ over Eq'ed) or a amp producing DC current, DC will cook a woofer faster than anything but Ive reconed woofers after Super Street Deathmatches that were better looking than yours =] Theres something going on there, but without haveing the car in my hands theres no way for me to help. I will send a pic of your coil, you will laugh at it =]"