Ok, so I go to do some last minute christmas shopping for my wife and my truck wants to take a break from driving around town. I have an 02 Silverado w/ a 5-speed, I always set the e-brake when I park, and put it in gear for extra measure. So I was airing up my tires at the gas station tonight about 6:30, and it's in the upper 30s-low 40s. I had my 5 month old daughter in the truck with me to boot. I go to leave and release the e-brake and the damn cable snaps.

The e-brake was only half released, so I was goin nowhere fast. After 20 mins of searching where it coulda snapped at I called up basshead and asked him about it to see if he knew anything about where the most common place for it to snap was. He tells me to check behind the release handle, he had a similar prob with a truck he once had. Sure enough it snapped back there, but it was right next to my power wire, odd to me. Doesn't look like the cable was rubbing on the wire, but nonetheless, still odd for it to snap right there where they nearly touch. The whole time the truck was off cause I was on a hill and it would roll back, so my daughter is gettin cold and screaming at me.

So now I can't set my e-brake and I have to get it replaced. Anyone know how much they cost and how hard it is to do yourself??? I'm more of an engine guy, not a brake guy, so I have no idea how to fix this. Money is tight as is, so I don't wanna go to a shop and have to dump my pockets out for them to do it.

Sheeeeeet.....I can't get no aircraft cable up here. At least not that I know of anyway. I'm gonna try to get it fixed this week. I'll let ya'll know how much and what all was involved in fixing it in case anyone else ever has the same problem.

Ain't no way I could weld that thin of a cable....think of the inside of a pen, the part that holds the ink.....it's that thin. And it's really small pieces wound together. I may be able to get some scrap wire fix it. But I'm sure I could get the replacement piece from a store for pretty cheap. It's only about a foot and a half long, if that.