Second Skin Audio

Can Power Make Up For Size?

I need you guys to be serious for a sec, cuz this is kinda embarrassing... Well, i was chilling w/ my girl, and i asked her, since im strong, and have alot of power, does that make up for.... LOL J/K

So i was wondering if you have 2x 15's (dual 1's) FI Btl's, each ran off a kicker zx2500, will that sound the same, be louder, or not as loud as 2x 18's of a different kind (DC level 4) each taking 1000watts rms? do the cone area of the 18's in addition to the bigger make up in output, what the 15 are putting out w/ more then double the power?

If I happened to confused anyone, or if someone wants a more clear/concise meaning for what im trying to articulate. let me know.

This topics is now open for debate/opinions... :D

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

I need you guys to be serious for a sec, cuz this is kinda embarrassing... Well, i was chilling w/ my girl, and i asked her, since im strong, and have alot of power, does that make up for.... LOL J/K

So i was wondering if you have 2x 15's (dual 1's) FI Btl's, each ran off a kicker zx2500, will that sound the same, be louder, or not as loud as 2x 18's of a different kind (DC level 4) each taking 1000watts rms? do the cone area of the 18's in addition to the bigger make up in output, what the 15 are putting out w/ more then double the power?

If I happened to confused anyone, or if someone wants a more clear/concise meaning for what im trying to articulate. let me know.

This topics is now open for debate/opinions... :D

Huge difference for me but.

1 12" off of 1000w.

2 18's off of 600w.

18's raped the 12.

Just like every whats louder question..... install is everything.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

this is more of an opinionated question, unless some1 has the means to conduct the experiment. So im just asking the people on here who has been around car audio for a part of their lives what they think. thats all, but it not only limited to what they think i wanna here the opinions of everybody really... even newbs

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

I have no real apples for apples comparo for this, but any time I have gone from 2 subs to 4 with even half the wattage to the 4, the 4 kill the 2.

You can't cheat the law of physics. Basically, I think you need to multiply cone area by the linear movement of the sub. The more wattage, the further the travel and more control- but you have less cone area. But that is prob. over simplifying things.

If you have a huge car, then go with the Cone area. If you don't have room- then go with more powa' to one. But know, it is a different kind of sound- just my $.02

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Is it possible, yes.

You can take one really good 10 inch sub with a lot of power and out perform two cheap 12's with very little power.

Cone area isn't everything but it helps.

Edited by banginAltima

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

I still say that each size sub has it's own sound characteristics. For example, I have a good friend who used to be a drummer and an IASCA judge, he has a 12 in his PT and we compared that to the 15 I had in mine last year. Both Kicker subs, he said that there was noticeable depth that the 12 lacked. Now, with a few recent buids here on SMD with a lot of smaller subs, I asked him how do those compare with same power going to 4 18"s, and he said the same, that larger subs just seem to be able to go lower with more authority than multiple smaller subs, it's just a different kind of sound.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

I still say that each size sub has it's own sound characteristics. For example, I have a good friend who used to be a drummer and an IASCA judge, he has a 12 in his PT and we compared that to the 15 I had in mine last year. Both Kicker subs, he said that there was noticeable depth that the 12 lacked. Now, with a few recent buids here on SMD with a lot of smaller subs, I asked him how do those compare with same power going to 4 18"s, and he said the same, that larger subs just seem to be able to go lower with more authority than multiple smaller subs, it's just a different kind of sound.

Agreed, larger diameter subs are better/easier to get deep bass from.

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

I beg to differ, but I respect his opinion.