Keep Popping Fuses.need Advice.

I keep popping fuses in the rango. The crunch is seeing a low ohm load(1.4 on speaker out puts a/b, like the rockfords) so Im guessing its splitting that down inside the amp to a lower load. Its finally starting to cause some voltage drop, which wasnt a problem that I ran into when it was at 2 ohms.

Is it just pulling more amps then im fused for?amp isnt going into protect, its got good voltage(nothing lower then 12v at the amp).

2009 spring fling-iasca-rookie 1-Champion. 139.4db.

"I don't do enough, I just fool around

Ya'll can go to hell, how does that sound"~ Tech N9NE

4 15" Memphis. and 1 Big ass box. <-Sold to fund more power.

Kicker l5s

I keep popping fuses in the rango. The crunch is seeing a low ohm load(1.4 on speaker out puts a/b, like the rockfords) so Im guessing its splitting that down inside the amp to a lower load. Its finally starting to cause some voltage drop, which wasnt a problem that I ran into when it was at 2 ohms.

Is it just pulling more amps then im fused for?amp isnt going into protect, its got good voltage(nothing lower then 12v at the amp).

How many amps does the amplifier produce at 2 ohms, what size cabling, how is it grounded, and what size fuse are you using?

4ga RF. Its grounded to a bolt on the frame, I said screw that shit they call metal on the floor of the durangos and just ran it through a grommet and sanded a spot clear and bolted it back. I've got a 80 amp about 8" from the battery. and about 2 feet away from the amp I have a 60 amp, that in it for daily. I wired my distroblock so that I could run two fuses for the comp last saturday. I matched the 80 amps in the front with two 40 amps in the back, and it popped the front 80 amp and not the back. I put a new fuse in and it will play at half volume with out popping fuse's, but as soon as I start beatin' on it, it plays for 30-45 secs then it pops a fuse.

Bigger fuse's is the answer?

Kicker l5s

what amp is it?

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

Your front fuse is just there to protect the cable. With 4 gauge you can safely fuse in the 120 to 150 range, so you should have a fuse at lease that size in the front. If you are running a Crunch 1500, then it can pull over 150 amps at full tilt, so that might be your problem.

Team Carlisle Acoustics - Team Sundown Audio

2010 MECA DB3 World Champ 127.2

2010 MECA DB3 KY State Record 127.3

2009 February MECA Member of the Month

2008 MECA DB2 World Champ 131.9db

2008 MECA DB2 KY State Record 129.1

2008 MECA Neighborhood Nuisance

2007 MECA AS2 KY State Record 144.2

At idle full tilt it will see at lowest 11.7v,sittin at the corner of the road this morning,but thats the first time I've seen it drop that low, normally is doesnt drop under 12.3 after I've driven for a little bit even at idle. I put a 115 in the front, and then an 80 in my distro block and it hasnt popped one yet. Im gonna make a few vids, see if I run into any problems while doing so.

Kicker l5s

Didnt pop any fuses in the 20 mins I was beatin' on it for the videos. But I did end up dropping the amp into thermal, Its hot enough right now to fry eggs probly.

Kicker l5s

A 12.3 voltage drop is still pretty low and can pop fuses , also cause clipping. Your amp will heat up quicker when your starving your charging system of voltage. Your amp/batteries shouldn't see less than 13+ volts at full tilt.(running) Your (durango?) gives you 13.6 to 14v (pending year) volts from your factory harness , and its controlled by the PCM.

Here are 2 suggestions:

1)You can charge your batteries more on a 16v charger for more volts. Fully charged batteries help you maintain higher voltage with less drop.

2)A module: it gives you a 15v set point for your stock or H/O alternator. This extra voltage will get you a fully charged battery or batteries and help keep you in the 13v+ drop range. We are in Meade's manufactures zone under Missing Link Audio.

NOTE: excessive full tilt will kill a charging system no matter how big the alt or batteries. Allow your alt time to catch up and charge , and you can keep a stronger charge with higher voltage and more stability.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Archived