Carputer?

Gearstix

Hey guys,

I've been thinking, since if I do the "window blow-through" I won't be able to see out the rear window of my truck. So I've been thinking that I could get some cheap cameras and put them in my rollpan. I have a screen, not sure how to describe it, but I'm kinda thinkin it has inputs.

So I would want to be able to display a few cameras on the same screen.. Wasn't sure how I'd go about this then I thought, carputer.

I could build a cheaper computer, put it in my center console or under my seat, and hook the cameras up to that.

How do you go about powering a small pc inside the vehicle, and has anybody done something like this, with the cameras. I know steve put a computer in the Hoopty... I don't think I'd hook it up to my stereo, but if the headunit has an auxillary input I might just do that..

I'll get some photos of the screen for you guys.

Hey guys,

I've been thinking, since if I do the "window blow-through" I won't be able to see out the rear window of my truck. So I've been thinking that I could get some cheap cameras and put them in my rollpan. I have a screen, not sure how to describe it, but I'm kinda thinkin it has inputs.

So I would want to be able to display a few cameras on the same screen.. Wasn't sure how I'd go about this then I thought, carputer.

I could build a cheaper computer, put it in my center console or under my seat, and hook the cameras up to that.

How do you go about powering a small pc inside the vehicle, and has anybody done something like this, with the cameras. I know steve put a computer in the Hoopty... I don't think I'd hook it up to my stereo, but if the headunit has an auxillary input I might just do that..

I'll get some photos of the screen for you guys.

There are 5 different adapters that are made to connect carputers inside of your vehicle without using AC/DC converters. Do a google search for M1-ATX, M2-ATX, M2-ATX HV, M3-ATX, or M4-ATX. They work very well, I had a carputer with the M1-ATX in a CRX and it worked out great. I am actually about to put a carputer in my Ford Probe and My pickup truck and I will be using the M4-ATX.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

How do you go about powering a small pc inside the vehicle, and has anybody done something like this, with the cameras.

See here

with the cameras

I use a Xenarc 700TSV monitor, it has 1 VGA input and 2 AV inputs, with auto switching capabilities.

I then added a camera (similar to this one) in my bumper, and powered it to my reverse lights.

Now, when I put my car into reverse, the monitor will auto-switch to the rear camera.

store_logo_sig.jpg

• 1 year later...

I believe Steve bought a Mac Mini and put it with a power inverter behind the dash as a really simple install that works great. Also you could just get a backup camera kit and not send the video to the cheap display they provide but to the one you have.

That tail light idea is very nice.

Archived