Second Skin Audio

Spl Difference With Same Power To Different Subs?

I was just wondering what would be the difference in SPL, in 2 subs having the same excursion, but one is 400 Rms and the other is 750? This question is assuming both subs have the same optimal tuning frequency, and are powered by the same amp. Thanks

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

look at the sensitivity

But if they were at the same point of excursion, it wouldn't matter would it (I'm not sure that's why I'm asking)?

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

i gained .1 possibly more with more time on the mic. from switching from power acoustic's to memphis power reference. the PA's to me sounded way better to the ear but the PR's are handling the truck better.

----reference's----

meade916

i gained .1 possibly more with more time on the mic. from switching from power acoustic's to memphis power reference. the PA's to me sounded way better to the ear but the PR's are handling the truck better.

Not quite what I meant, because you're talking about 2 diff. subs that are not going to have the same optimal tuning, and probably have diff. sens(db) levels.

I would guess it depends on a lot of factors.

But this is what I found out using an audiocontrol meter at a local shop. numbers may be inflated a tad because it's not a T.L. But it is a nice A.C.

Older kenwood amp 850 watts @2ohms($100 Craigslist) 2 entry level powerbass ps-12's 250 rms ea. Sensitivity 91 db's. Single 4 ohm coils ($45 ea. new) pre-fab slot ported box in the trunk 147.0 db's.

Then I wasted money on new power bass xl-12's 350 rms, Sensitivity 92 dbs. Dual 4 ohm coils and an P.B. asa 1000.1d amp 1000 watts @ 1 ohm. Same box.

146.6 db's.

The cheap subs call for 2.5 cube ft. ported and the xl's for 2 cube feet. both about the same herz, Maybe one Hz diff. Not positive on the sq. ft. of the box used because it is a prefab but I think 3.5ish total? not counting port.

I'm sure I'm missing alot of reasons why But I think the lighter and easier to move sub is easier to get spl out of with low watts.

?

There is no way to tell from your hypothetical situation. Technically the more efficient speaker would be louder (all things held constant), so you would have to look at the sensitivity, but even then there are too many changes going from one sub in it's optimal enclosure to another sub in it's optimal enclosure to tell definitively.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

But if they were at the same point of excursion, it wouldn't matter would it (I'm not sure that's why I'm asking)?

Yes, it does. Overall movement of the cone isn't what dictates 'loud' and 'quiet.' In fact, you will notice that for extreme SPL bursts at the enclosure and vehicle resonant frequency, the driver really isn't moving too much at all.

So let's look at it this way. You have a woofer that is 2.4% effecient with respect to both electrical and mechanical factors. You put in 1000w, you get 24 acoustic watts of sound out of it (hypothetically.) You have a woofer that is 5% effecient with the same 1kw of power, you have 50 acoustic watts of sound. BIG difference in overall sound pressure level.

Your situation may not be that extreme, but the point I am trying to get across is that a more sensitive loudspeaker system, that is the enclosure, damping, driver, tuning etc will most likely (ie 95% chance) be louder. Whether that be .1 decibel or 1 decibel difference, I don't know.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Yes, it does. Overall movement of the cone isn't what dictates 'loud' and 'quiet.' In fact, you will notice that for extreme SPL bursts at the enclosure and vehicle resonant frequency, the driver really isn't moving too much at all.

So let's look at it this way. You have a woofer that is 2.4% effecient with respect to both electrical and mechanical factors. You put in 1000w, you get 24 acoustic watts of sound out of it (hypothetically.) You have a woofer that is 5% effecient with the same 1kw of power, you have 50 acoustic watts of sound. BIG difference in overall sound pressure level.

Your situation may not be that extreme, but the point I am trying to get across is that a more sensitive loudspeaker system, that is the enclosure, damping, driver, tuning etc will most likely (ie 95% chance) be louder. Whether that be .1 decibel or 1 decibel difference, I don't know.

Cheers,

Mick

very technical answer there

MMM BASS OATS..ITS WHAT I HAVE FOR BREAKFAST

2 AudioQue HDC3 18'' subs

Rockford Fosgate T1 6.5 mids

MMATS 2000.05

XS Power D1200

Knukonceptz 1/0

Pioneer Premier DEH-P490iB

" Shit I can roll a blunt better than those bitches in Havana!"- Uncle Elroy