67 Mustang Restoration Build

If mine has more rust than yours does, then you must be in pretty good shape. Im sure you have seen those where people have practically replaced every pannel because of rust before...

Yeah, I have alot to replace too... but the floors and trunk are solid. Firewall and cowls are good too.

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

Yea, the cowl went out on this one which is the reason for the floors being partially gone. My firewall is alright except a little ways up on the drivers side, but I went ahead and got some toe boards so a little of both sides will be replaced anyways. My trunk is good though.

Well the last few days have been hell for trying to find time to work on the mustang... Monday I was forced to change the fuel filter on my probe that the PO hadn't changed in who knows how long, and then complications thereof from it being wedged down under the air box etc. Tuseday was spent taking my mother to the doctor for her thumb that she thought she had broken after losing her balance and falling on the mustang, bending the headlight holder a little, (she has MS) and then finishing fixing the complications on my probe, which happened to end up being a leak in the air intake after the mass air flow sensor, due to a leak in what looked like electrical tape covering a break in the bend of the hose. This was causing it to not want to stay running... Then today was just one of those days I don't know where time went, but I did make it by to grab a couple more cans of self etching primer etc and some sandpaper after a grocery run. anyways... if you have actually read all of this, I have tried to do atleast a little work each day, so here are some pics of the combined progress.

I keep wondering to myself why I should post progress pics of so small of accomplishments like I am now, but I guess it is just because I am starting out, and progress is slow... and I have to keep convincing myself I am making progress...

Got those strings of holes welded up, and now they have been covered with primer. Also not in this picture, I got a good bit of smaller holes welded up on the other end of the fender, but I haven't grinded them down yet.

Posted Image

Here we have a nice large rusted out hole on the left tailight where water would sit between the tailights and the metal. This has caused the entire area to be thin as well. This is the first spot I am attempting to fill with sheet metal instead of just welding up. (besides the floor pan that is already in of course)

Posted Image

Metal decently fitted ready to be welded...

Posted Image

I am going to go ahead and make the disclaimer that I am still learning to weld

That being said, the upper left weld did nothing like I wanted it to. I was having to fill in spots that were being blown out from the metal being too thin, and it built up way too high. I also know there are holes in it, so it is not quite done. This was after I had ground down a couple spots after my original "spot" weld. Unfortunately I didn't feel I should grind it all down again yet, as I believe my elderly neighbors had gone to bed, and I want to stay within their good graces...

Posted Image

Posted Image

turn down your speed and your power for thin metal... you are puddling up way too much weld for sheetmetal... go to a junk yard and get a old hood or fender and practice on it before you work on your car... welding only comes with experience and practice....you are gonna warp that panel with that much heat and build up...

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

Yea, I kinda wish I had a lower heat setting, but alas, I don't, it is as low as it will go. I do now have the speed a tad lower. Ive got a good amount of sheet metal from the cut out floor pans and scrap from the new one, and I do pretty well with those, it is just how the tails are so thin there... I just got in from doing a bit more on that area, and it looks a little better now. Honestly that weld from last night I think is the worst one I ever did, kinda hated to show it honestly. Im going to try to do a little on the floor pan here in a minute though.

So here is a question for anyone familiar with welding... would going to some thinner wire help for these thin spots? Right now I am using some .035" that came with it... but I could easily pick up some .030". Would it be noticeable enough to be worth the switch?

a smaller wire with the same heat setting will give you a faster melt , but a hotter melt temp of the wire itself. It is all a art form man. you are gonna have to try stuff out and see what works best for what your doing. mig welding is usually pretty simple, but welding up thin sheet metal makes even wire feed welders difficult to use sometimes....

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

Alright, thanks. Im about out of the small roll that came with the welder, so ill pick up some .030 and try it out.

• 3 years later...

Archived