ok..lets start by ok i have a 96' dodge intrepid 3.3L...and since i bought it i been having some problems with the car getting stuck on 2 gear when the car heats up or lets say when it gets HOT!..i have took the car too alot of places and they tell me its the "motor computer" after i told them like 1,000,000,000 million times! that i have replaced that i few times now...i already put the scanner and it tells me gear gets stuck or some sensors and the transmission..i dont really remember..right now the car has been parked for lets say for 2 months...anybody know about this?..any help would help me out right now..if not im gonna have to sell the car the way it is..!

ok..lets start by ok i have a 96' dodge intrepid 3.3L...and since i bought it i been having some problems with the car getting stuck on 2 gear when the car heats up or lets say when it gets HOT!..i have took the car too alot of places and they tell me its the "motor computer" after i told them like 1,000,000,000 million times! that i have replaced that i few times now...i already put the scanner and it tells me gear gets stuck or some sensors and the transmission..i dont really remember..right now the car has been parked for lets say for 2 months...anybody know about this?..any help would help me out right now..if not im gonna have to sell the car the way it is..!

What code is it showing?

you probably have a input or output speed sensor on the tranny that has taken a dump. they go into a default limp in mode when the transmissioin controller senses an issue and flags the light and codes. only gears you will have with it in that condition are reverse, second, and obviously park.

Get an actual scanner on it not just a code reader and see what the sensors are actually reading while driving. btw, the sensors are cheap even from the dealer....

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

you probably have a input or output speed sensor on the tranny that has taken a dump. they go into a default limp in mode when the transmissioin controller senses an issue and flags the light and codes. only gears you will have with it in that condition are reverse, second, and obviously park.

Get an actual scanner on it not just a code reader and see what the sensors are actually reading while driving. btw, the sensors are cheap even from the dealer....

i already tryed the scanner..a friend of mine has one at his shop..we took it for a drive and everything while the car was running and driving...but ill get the codes...THANKS GUYS!!..

being that it is a 96 that means that the car is odb2 and not just odb. Make sure which ever place is scaning the car has a new scanner and not a old scanner.

A older scanner will work on odb2 vehicles, but will only do a odb1 scan on it since it does not have the techology of a odb2 scanner that can pinpoint the problem right away.

Your staying in second gear when the tranny gets hot, how does it shift when its cold?

Whats your transmission fluid look and smell? If it is dark in color, and smell kinda like burnt electronics it is probolly bad.

It should be a really red color like cherry koolaid :)

Is your tranny fluid have a bunch of metal flake in it? (as if you see parts of aluminum shavings in it).

My first suggustion is to goto a auto part store, and buy a transmission filter kit. The kit comes with a new tranny filter and a gasket. they are usally 20-35$.

You also need to buy new atf fluid, put as much new in as posibile. The parts store can tell you how much you need, but you proboly need around 4-9 corts. MY caddy takes 7.9 quarts for a transmission filter change, or 15 quarts from bone dry.

Usally its only about 14-20 10mm bolts to drop the transmission pan. (hint on taking off the tranny pan: start removing the tranny bolts farthest away from you first. after you get the back row unscrewed, work back and forth going from a bolt on the left side, to a bolt on the right side. When the pan is loose enough it will start draining fluid, and doing it in this order will direct all the fluid out the back of the pan away from you!).

Most filters just pull right out, and the new ones just push right back in.

Someplace in the pan, you should see a magnet, take it off and clean any metal shavings off it. Make sure to get the inside of the plan clean and free of debry.

When you have the tranny pan off, you want to take a razer blade and remove the old gasket from the lip where it bolts together (make sure both the pan and the transmission is clean and free of debry before putting the new pan and gasket back up).

But like i said, your scanner is only as good as its age..

Make sure its an odb 2 scanner because it can test 3-4 times as many things as a regular scanner.

I got my own scanner, its only odb1 but my car is only a 93 so it works for whatever I need on my car, tho if i had a newer car i would of bought a newer scanner.

07-11-08_1834.jpg

ok..when the car is cold like when you leave it till the next day and drive it the car runs fine..it works good and everything but once you drive it around like 1 hour or sometimes it depends..but yeah once you drove the car more than a hour the car just like brakes by it self and just stays in 2nd gear...and everytime that happens i turn the car off then turn it back on again then the car works fine again till again the problems comes back like whenever you brake...its really weird!..

Not sure if this has the same transmission I have been working on in class (41TE). But I had to fix the same problem with this dodge van, ended up being the output sensor and a transmission control relay. May not be both on yours..the car was "bugged" and I had to figure it out.

When it stays in 2nd its in the limp mode. If you cut off the car and start it back up and drive the transmission will try to operate normally until it finds something wrong again..which usually will only last 10 seconds.

Like they said..check your fluid. Make sure it's a nice red color and not burnt...and that it's full. you should get the codes pulled for the transmission. I believe the code was 51 for the output sensor.