Second Skin Audio

Sub Sonic

Split9112

I generally set them to right above 20Hz...... You don't want those LOW LOW notes to play through. Bad things can happen.

If the amp has enough power the sub can easily bottom out = Damage to teh woofa.

alright so i have a 10 ssd coming in and should i set the sub sonic filter to the Fs of the sub? jw. or wat should i try to set it to? jw

Live Fast Die Fun!!!!

Use it or lose it

I generally set them to right above 20Hz...... You don't want those LOW LOW notes to play through. Bad things can happen.

If the amp has enough power the sub can easily bottom out = Damage to teh woofa.

alright so i have a 10 ssd coming in and should i set the sub sonic filter to the Fs of the sub? jw. or wat should i try to set it to? jw

Live Fast Die Fun!!!!

Use it or lose it

I set it to a hair below the tuning frequency of the box but it depends on how steep the slope is. Some amps have a 24dB/octave subsonic in which case you can afford to set it a little lower but keep in mind that if it's a 12 or 18dB slope then you'll still get substantial amounts of power below the crossover point. It doesn't take much power to unload a sub below tuning frequency as it's basically gone free-air.

EDIT: Also depends on the box... A small box with a small port you can afford to go reasonably far below tuning as the box will continue to provide a decent amount support to the sub, you'll just get lots of port noise... with a larger box or port (or very short ports) it will just unload and you'll get the happy sound of the coils pinging off the back plate, or if you have DDs the pleasant sound of the neck joint exploding :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Archived