I installed norton antivirus 2009 today and after doing the full system scan i had about 27viruses and it said i had to restart my computer in order to fully cure about 6 of the viruses. After i restarted my computer it wont fully load and says "STOP: c000021a (fatal system error) The windows logon process system terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0x0000000 0x00000000) The system has been shut down". What do i do? thanks for any help

you got the blue screen of death (BSOD) blue screens are usually caused by either hardware failure or OS corruption, in your case it is software based. Have you tried booting into safe mode? (before windows loads push F8 and itll take you to a boot menu and it will let you select safe mode) safe mode should let you get into windows and then you should be able to at least backup all your data and stuff so you dont have to worry about losing all your stuff in case you want to just take the easy way out and format. I would rerun a few antivirus / antispyware programs in safe mode to try and eradicate the infection. once you do that run hijack this and see if there are any traces left that might be causing you issues. It may be possible that one of the viruses you had was associated with a system32 file and now that norton got rid of it, the file either is corrupted or deleted.... if you can find out the file that got corrupted you can just replace that file and that would be sweet.

If all else fails you could insert the windows disc, and choose to do a repair instead of a reinstall, this will allow you to regain access to your stuff, after you do this i would just backup everything and reformat...its not worth the time to comb through and repair an OS corruption if doing a destructive restore is an ok alternative.

Too Much Stuff to list .

you got the blue screen of death (BSOD) blue screens are usually caused by either hardware failure or OS corruption, in your case it is software based. Have you tried booting into safe mode? (before windows loads push F8 and itll take you to a boot menu and it will let you select safe mode) safe mode should let you get into windows and then you should be able to at least backup all your data and stuff so you dont have to worry about losing all your stuff in case you want to just take the easy way out and format. I would rerun a few antivirus / antispyware programs in safe mode to try and eradicate the infection. once you do that run hijack this and see if there are any traces left that might be causing you issues. It may be possible that one of the viruses you had was associated with a system32 file and now that norton got rid of it, the file either is corrupted or deleted.... if you can find out the file that got corrupted you can just replace that file and that would be sweet.

If all else fails you could insert the windows disc, and choose to do a repair instead of a reinstall, this will allow you to regain access to your stuff, after you do this i would just backup everything and reformat...its not worth the time to comb through and repair an OS corruption if doing a destructive restore is an ok alternative.

thanks for the info neel, i just tried that and it wont even do anything when i hit F8, it just stays on the blue screen with the fatal error message..... is there anything else i can try? It wont even load as far as letting me type in the password to log into windows....

i hit f8 all different times and it just stays on the blue screen.....

Hit it before the loading windows screen comes on...

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

ok i was able to get to the safemode menu but when i clicked "start in safemode" it came up with a full screenfull about system32 stuff and thats it. But when i clicked f8 it also came up with a whole list of ways to restart, is there any other things i could click? I just dont want to click different things and screw everything up. thanks again for all the help