First Time Powdercoating, Much More To Come

Well its my first time and it was on something that i knew wouldnt really matter if i messed it up cause i figured i would. It came out pretty good, i just put it on way too thick and i shook the gun and a bunch of it just plopped out. BUT the next thing i do should b much better. any way onto the gear and the pics.

Oven:

CIMG2644.jpg

CIMG2645.jpg

Gun:

CIMG2647.jpg

Bottom of my air intake:

CIMG2676.jpg

U can see its a bit lumpy because i learend that warming it up first helps, but i shouldnt have my first time doing ne thing cause when i messed up i couldnt spray it off it was already melted on, buut all in all it came out decent for a first time i think.

sig22.jpgaim is jblackwell64www.jbcarworks.com

Not too bad, you should do my wheels now,, lol

haha yea if u wanna pay shipping i will. i already have about 5 people waiting for me to show them pics of mine and they are sending theirs lol. I think its going to turn into a small business.

wrong as to why its lumpy.

the reasom its lumpy is you used to much powder. that habor frieght gun is not the best but should work well enough for wht your doing.

all the warming does is make the reaction start sooner and help the powder stic kto difficult contours.

I used to powdercoat for 2 years and loved the job.

also wheels need a coating over the powdercoating or the powder coating will sooner or later start hazing

Edited by James

wrong as to why its lumpy.

the reasom its lumpy is you used to much powder. that habor frieght gun is not the best but should work well enough for wht your doing.

all the warming does is make the reaction start sooner and help the powder stic kto difficult contours.

I used to powdercoat for 2 years and loved the job.

oh ik, but when i pre heated it when i shook the gun and it finally began to start shooting a bunch came out, the item was already hot so it stuck and wouldnt come off. i know its from too much but if it wasnt preheated i coulda got it off was all i was saying. yea im tryin to see if i can get a different tip for the gun.

yea shaking the hose or anything like that usually makes it clump when it comes out. it takes a little practice like paint but youll get it in no time and its actually fun imo. if i could find another job doing that, id be all over it.

Used to do mainly Harley parts, car frames, fences, rear ends for classic cars, and a shitload of showerdoor edges, with a set of wheels every now and then.

yea shaking the hose or anything like that usually makes it clump when it comes out. it takes a little practice like paint but youll get it in no time and its actually fun imo. if i could find another job doing that, id be all over it.

Used to do mainly Harley parts, car frames, fences, rear ends for classic cars, and a shitload of showerdoor edges, with a set of wheels every now and then.

yea i wanna find a huge oven cause im gonna have to do my dads frame and id like to do it but itll probably get sent out and ill do anything that i can fit in this.

So you have to put it in the oven to cure when it's done?

Guess I'll have to find an oven big enough for my project :D

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

So you have to put it in the oven to cure when it's done?

Guess I'll have to find an oven big enough for my project :D

just make sure u dont use an oven ull ever put food in again. LOL

yea most items are 15 to 20 minutes at 450 depending on the metal, aluminum takes less time to cure then say iron or thick steel.

if you can find an old pizza oven a ford rear end will fit in them, as we used to use one of those at my old house for my side hustle. As for car frames, best bet is paying someone to do it who had the oven. the oven i used to use was the size of a small apartment, and our bill at the shop for me running 2 of those ovens nonstop all day was crazy high.