Sonic Electronix

How Much Difference Will This Really Make ?

{keeping in mind I'm leaning towards an SQ system}

Okay, so I will be running a set of components in the stock speaker spots in the front doors of my F150.... tweets up high, mids about 10" below that.

Then I will be running a pair of 8" mid-bass drivers, which I had "really wanted" to place right below the mids, in the bottom of the front doors, in custom pods.

The problem is, 1) I've never built pods, 2) I can't afford to have them custom built for me.

So last night I got to thinking 'at least for starters' how much do you think it would hurt my SQ (or should I say, my stereo imaging) to put my 8" mid-bass drivers in the stock spots in my rear doors ? Even if I had to surface mount them, and lift them 1" or 1 1/2", I'm sure they would easily fit.

Keep in mind, I will probably be grabbing a pretty narrow range of frequencies with those anyway. Maybe say 80hz to 350hz- 500hz.

Oh, and also keep in mind, my rear seats are already yanked out. This stereo is all for the driver.... and on rare occasions, a passenger.

Another nice thing about doing it this way, is that it will be my rear stereo channels which control those anyway, so this should help to make adjustments a bit more intuitive.

Bottom line is, I can always move them back up to the front doors later on, if I determine it will make a big enough difference, and / or I hit the freaking lotto' ! :-)

Your thoughts ?

Peace,

Fish

PS, The local stereo shop was trying to get me to drop the mid-bass idea altogether, and suggested I should put a set of coaxials back their.... just to use the other two channels of my 5 ch amp, if nothing else, and also maybe to give me a bit more rear fill (which I might, if I still had back seats, or if I ever had backseat passengers) Hmmmm.

But it seems to me that mid-bass drivers grabbing from 80hz to 400hz would be less affected (hurt) being back their, than coaxials that were trying to grab from 80hz, all the way up to 20khz, and with nobody back there to listen to them anyway.

Learning to fiberglass pods is not bad at all, and actually fun. If you are unsure about glassing a door pod, would you be willing to try the kick panels, can an 8" fit there?

I would not put the midbass in the back door, you are only making an obvious move of your soundstage to the rear half of the truck.

Coaxials or components in the rear doors for rear fill would be fine, but you want the front stage to be stronger.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Learning to fiberglass pods is not bad at all, and actually fun. If you are unsure about glassing a door pod, would you be willing to try the kick panels, can an 8" fit there?

I would not put the midbass in the back door, you are only making an obvious move of your soundstage to the rear half of the truck.

Coaxials or components in the rear doors for rear fill would be fine, but you want the front stage to be stronger.

x2 what he said ^^^^^

Kenwood_headunit

2: Kenwood_KFC-P707ie 6.5" comps

2: Kenwood_KFC-1060S 10cm Speakers

2: Fli_Integrator FI6 6.5" speakers

1: Fli_Frequency-12 12" sub

1: Kenwood_KAC-606 2ch amp

(soon to come)

Clarion_DXZ658RMP-Headunit

2: kenwood_KAC-8404 4ch amp

2: 10cm comps (dont know what 1s yet)

2: 12" subs (Dont know what 1s yet but i Got my eye on that new smd sub coming out)

1: rear batt

new box build

and loads of uver stuff to come in the near future

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Street Motivated Devastation

SMD-Editionsig-1.jpg

I was afraid you guys might say that....

But the fact is, I have no space whatsoever in my kick panels, and as far as pods in the doors, it might not be so bad if I just had some flat, blank areas on the bottom of my doors to work with.... But instead, I have these big ass map pockets, that run the full length of the door, and are about 9" tall. I guess I could remove the whole door panel, from 9" down.

I'll try to post a photo so you can see what I'm dealing with.

BTW PTcary, I think building pods would be the kind of thing that 1) if you had the right tools, and 2) had built a few of them already, might not be bad at all. But neither is the case for me :-(

So you really think their is a "lot" of noticeable sound stage below 400hz ?

Peace,

Fish

Edited by Fish Chris

Fish, I see a lot of me in your build...... Do you have the 8's already? If not I would suggest trying a 6.5" midbass in the door, the midrange in the kick and the tweet in the dash or the a pilar. Make sure that you matt the door well for the midbass. and yes should use some type of rear fill... not much, just a little. Hows the t-line comming????

OiRYFHf.png

////Alpine, Eclipse, Load Boss, Pheonix Gold, MB Quart,Digital Desings, Memphis, Stinger, Periphial, MTX, Visualogic

Alright guys, see, here's what I'm talking about...

115b94fe0.jpg

115cfe940.jpg

The stock spot for the mids and tweets is great..... but look at all of the stupidness I have to deal with, in putting 8" mid-bass drivers below the mids :-( Now you see why I'm talking about doing away with the whole bottom 9" of my door panels ? I don't need no stinking junk traps.... But I do need a good spot for my mid-bass drivers.

Oh hey jhmeg, I don't have the 8" drivers yet, but I already ordered these. Good reviews, cheap enough, and they are actually made for mid-bass.... not as 8" sub woofers: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...4663301#reviews

What to do ?

Fish

Edited by Fish Chris

Hey Toxic, well it's like this;

It is a brand freaking new truck, and it would be a VERY scary thing, to start chopping on it. But if I could find somebody that could convince me, that they could do it, and make it look sweet, I'd probably do it. But of course, I can't afford a big fat chunk of cash do have it done, either. And I sure don't want to eff it up myself !

So that's my dillema.

I'm still thinking 8"s in the rear door stock speaker spots, to start out with. So my imaging will suck below 400hz... Heck, I might even push down the upper range of the 8"s from 400hz, to 300hz, or even 250hz.....

I can't imagine that you would hear a "lot" of directional sound below 250hz, anyway.

Hmmmmm,

Fish

Cut the bottom part of the door panel off with that map holders and use some mdf covered in some nice fabric to blend it in to the rest of the door panel

Depending on if you want to cut up those nice door panels or not

Hey Fish, look into Memhpis... I know they had an 8" component set 15-MSYNC8. You could just do a nice kick panel with that, get your mids nice and strong and have the tweet right there as well. Maybe add a 1" soft dome tweet up top to fix the over-hang issue from the dash, and your done. Cause, yeah, I would'nt wanna start hacken on a new vehicle, at least not before trying other options first.

MClass Multi-Sync Speakers 15-MSYNC8

The versatile speakers. MClass multisynchronous

components boast a unique

design that allows installation of the tweeter

either nested on the same axis as the

midrange speaker or detached and mounted

separately.

• Two-way passive crossover with tweeter

protection

• Removable pure aluminum dome tweeter

• Vented dust cap

• Carbon fiber cones

• Kapton® voice coils

• Polyurethane surround

Edited by jhmeg2

OiRYFHf.png

////Alpine, Eclipse, Load Boss, Pheonix Gold, MB Quart,Digital Desings, Memphis, Stinger, Periphial, MTX, Visualogic