Passive Crossover, Component Build Up

So, I have been wanting to swing other ways in car and home audio that seems like alot of people are not going, atleast to make money.

I was decided to start doing component systems, and home audio set ups. Now, Home audio is my love, nothing better than staying home to watch some bad ass action movie with a lot of Boom, and sound effects.

So, a person here on SMD asked if I could build them a component set, well get one together. So we discussed what they really wanted from a sound system, picked out some mids, and tweeters

This will be 2- Selenium mids, and 1 Vifa silk dome tweeter, similar set up posted, but the drivers haven't arrived yet.

This is going for a flat quality sound, not to boomy, or to piercing.

The crossover design, based on the mids and tweeters seem to be best crossed over at 2700hz 12db

Luckily this was a easy build due to the mids and tweeters being 4ohms (dual 8ohm mids ran at 4ohm)

I used a little bit of acrylic, rhino lined Masonite for the pc board, and a black ABS backing- I tried to make it look good for the budget in mind

Came out nice so far, I still have to glue down the components, work with the wiring. All connections are soldered nice and very low resistance components

heres some pics, and there will be more to come

This is just a 12db butterworth crossover

DSCN0469.jpg

DSCN0471.jpg

DSCN0472.jpg

DSCN0473.jpg

DSCN0474.jpg

DSCN0476.jpg

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

looks sweet man!

;)

I have some little changes to do to them, see how this is in 3 layers, and where the components are, seems like its to tall, and the bottom layer is to close, and bends a little bit? well, I'am using the spacers differently so it looks better, will get rid of that bent bottom ABS plastic

Iam listening to techno right now on Satalite radio, and these with missmatched mids and tweeters sounds VERY good

what I'am using now is 3ohms of mids, and 6 ohm tweeters, the crossover was designed for 4ohm all the way around

time to get a beer

and chill

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

This particular build is for Logans truck, but Iam getting some really nice mids, and highs, pretty much like SEAS, but cheaper

I plan on doing a home setup eventually with those- major dipole design,

WMTMW

Meaning, top and bottom large woofers, 8" or 10", then working inward, mids, 6.5", and then a horn silk dome tweeter

These will be about 6ft high, and meant for pure clarity

sundown.jpg

Logan, Iam gonna change the cross overs a bit, instead of using screws, Iam going to change it over to colored speaker wire out.. .I may do that tonite

It will be easier to match tweeters/mids up to the crossovers, and I will do some female connectors in and out

sundown.jpg