Second Skin Audio

Forward Firing Box

donsie

I currently have 2 12" Audiobahns getting 200 rms a piece in a sealed box in my Monte Carlo. Since the back seats fold down, I thought it would be cool to try and turn the box around a while ago so you could see the subs from inside the car. Needless to say, they sounded like completely garbage firing into the cabin like that. I have 2 12" Type-Rs on the way that are going to be receiving 400 watts a piece until I get a new amp. I want to put them in a ported box for sure, and was wondering if the box would still sound good and hit as hard facing forward. I'm not quiet sure if it was the sealed box, lack of power, or a combination of both that made my Audiobahns sound bad like that. Thanks guys.

chicken is basically the native american hulk, you think he broke that curb with his rim? think again, that was merely him stubbing his toe.

smd5.png

Well the prefab sealed box sounds find when the subs are facing towards the truck, it just sucks when I turn them around. I plan on building my own ported box, and was just wondering if they would still sound good facing forward.

chicken is basically the native american hulk, you think he broke that curb with his rim? think again, that was merely him stubbing his toe.

smd5.png

just wondering if it sounds worse facing the box forward then why would you want it?

(EDIT)

sorry i'm saying sometimes the car like if its not 100% airtight sealed it probably wont sound as good. why not just face it back with a custom box and proper power, etc.?

~Matthew

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 3L

(1) ScyTek Astra 4000RS-2W-1 2-Way Remote Start Alarm

with Shock and Proximity

(1) 20% Tint All Around (Gately Audio)

(1) 250 Amperage HO Alternator

(1) Big 3 Done In 1/0

(2) Kinetik HC2400 Power Cell

(1) Alpine IVA-D106 Receiver

(1) Peripheral Video Bypass Device

(4) Alpine SPS-17C2 Speakers

(1) Alpine KCE-422i iPod Control Interface

(4) Sheets Dynamat Extreme; for speakers

(1) 10 Square Feet Hushmat (Trunk & Rear Deck)

(4) DC Audio Level 4 15" D2 Subwoofer w/ Level 5 Coils

(1) Wall Built By David, Tuned to 32 Hz

(1) Rockford Fosgate T40001bd Amplifier

(1) Stinger 1/0 Wiring (2 runs of + 2 runs of -)

(1) Stinger Volt Meter

I'm obviously going to do whatever sounds best, facing the box towards the trunk isn't a problem at all, and I'm definitely going to test out both ways once I get the subs in and box built, I was just wondering if there was a chance of it sounding good.

smd5.png

i think he wants to see if it sounds good because he likes the look of them firing into the car, maybe make a bandpass type box so the subs have to load off of?

says the man

in most cases the pressure created loads off the rear of the trunk allowing for the sound waves to expand more before entering the cabin... usually lows are more "present" when facing the rear... this is usually the best option unless ur are sealing the trunk off from the cabin and firing forward

when u fire unsealed boxes forward there can be cancellation since the wave could be disrupted by the space behind the box... and when firing forward sealed off.... u usually raise ur peak frequency since there is less airspace in the cabin

if you really want to fire them forward... put the back of the box all the way to the back of the trunk... this should help the sound waves escape easier since they only can go forward.. and not forward then back behind the box

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Archived