Second Skin Audio

Sub Enclosure Help

Hey guys, I currently have 2 10" kicker CVR subs in a ported box. I am going to buy 2 more tomorrow. I have a MTX 6500D I will be using for the subs. The car I have is a 06 PT cruiser. My question is, should I stick with a ported box or go sealed? The setup I have now hits pretty hard, but because the box is a little big for the CVR's, the speakers pop at times when trying to play a low note. I want something that will do atleast a shirt trick lol.

Here is a link to the box I have with the specs.

http://www.shipsound.com/product_info.php?...d96a8935be284c1

IMG_0006.jpg

Edited by CrashHole

No matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere, is sick of her shit.

99 Tahoe:

2-10" MA Audio

4-6.5" Kenwood door speakers

Total Amp

Sony HU

get another prefab, screw it to the top, and spraypaint "Built to La$t" on it, instant ballin wall

for real though, see if you can fit the 4 10-s straight across with a port under, i think your truck is only 37 or 38 across, if it happens to be 42, youre in luck

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

4 wont fit straight across. I have roughly 38 possibly 39 inches to work with. We are thinking about a design with the 4 tens on top placed in a pattern like this forward slash / / Just picture 2 tens on each line in that direction. If ported, the port will be in the lower part of the box facing the rear hatch with the amps mounted above it sowehow.

Edited by CrashHole

No matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere, is sick of her shit.

99 Tahoe:

2-10" MA Audio

4-6.5" Kenwood door speakers

Total Amp

Sony HU

im a good guesser, and i know exactly what youre describing as far as configuration, if you can give a depth i can mock up a box design for ya, give you rough dimensions/tuning/port size/etc

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

for reference, cvr10's like about 1.75cubes apiece with ~16sqin port/cube, the box comes out ok i guess if i use your max specs... its kinda tight to get the needed port area and displacement, so its sacrificing a little effeciency in order to get it low enough for daily tune

so, 38 wide, 25 high, 14 deep, port is 19 wide along bottom, 3 inches high, 23 long

this gives a smidge under 5 cubes, or 1.25 apiece for 4 subs (min requirement for volume)

11.52 sqin port/cube, a little low, may hinder max output, but necessary to get volume and tuning correct, still within specs and more than usable, just not optimum

32.17hz tuning

crshhole.jpg

sorry its so ugly, its so u get an idea of how it is going to look. this box will work, and you can probably throw a bit more than rms to them since it is a smaller box with a smallish port. Kicker actually reccomends tuning to 40hz, if you want to go that route, just make the port 24 wide, 3 high, 16 long, and use some poly fill in the box (ends up being 40hz tuning, 1.27cuft/sub, 14.15sqin port/cube)

leaving it up to you or anyone who has experience with the cvr's, last box i built was a 38hz tune for 3-12's, had quite a bit of low end roll off, but was brutal on higher notes (~50hz-60hz), if you were having problems hitting the lows, the 40hz tune probably wont help matters.

if you want to go sealed, anything between 2.4 and 12 cubes will work surprisingly (min and max on spec sheet for 4 subs) if you built the box i gave you without a port at all, its just under 6 cubes and should work i guess, id knock an inch or two off of depth to bring it down a bit and bring up power handling

Team DC