Sundown Audio

Awww Crap I Think I Did Somethin Stupid...

benz280se

what up folks i think i just did the dumbest thing ever. i just got my big belle back (one of the fets went out) and i hooked it up nice and careful like and turned it on. then i turned it off and tuned it back on again and poof white smoke :censored: the amp stayed on but no sound. before you ask my wires and everything are fine because i just had my jl300 & 500 running on it. i didnt turn it up and ive got 0 gauge wiring thru-out. heres where i think i messed up, i hooked up the speakers two 4ohm dvc to 1 ohm load according to the rockfordfoosgate diagram 24ohmdvc1ohmjj2.th.gif . i did it exactly how the diagram shows, ive done it a million times; but this time i forgot that the +/-posts are reversed in the pic. so. heres my question do you think this is what caused the smoke? was it running some weird ohm rating that it couldnt handle?? it didnt go into protect didnt pop fuses just smoke. or maybe im being paranoid and they missed something in the repair the first time? any knowledgable people please ease my pain or go ahead and flame me for being dumb.

what up folks i think i just did the dumbest thing ever. i just got my big belle back (one of the fets went out) and i hooked it up nice and careful like and turned it on. then i turned it off and tuned it back on again and poof white smoke :censored: the amp stayed on but no sound. before you ask my wires and everything are fine because i just had my jl300 & 500 running on it. i didnt turn it up and ive got 0 gauge wiring thru-out. heres where i think i messed up, i hooked up the speakers two 4ohm dvc to 1 ohm load according to the rockfordfoosgate diagram 24ohmdvc1ohmjj2.th.gif . i did it exactly how the diagram shows, ive done it a million times; but this time i forgot that the +/-posts are reversed in the pic. so. heres my question do you think this is what caused the smoke? was it running some weird ohm rating that it couldnt handle?? it didnt go into protect didnt pop fuses just smoke. or maybe im being paranoid and they missed something in the repair the first time? any knowledgable people please ease my pain or go ahead and flame me for being dumb.

So how did you hook it up differently than in the pic?

It sounds like you wired it positive-negative on both coils so your amp was seeing a dead short. Was it making any sound at all?

Then again if your amp is shorted it probably should have gone into protect. Could have been the repair as well.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

It sounds like you wired it positive-negative on both coils so your amp was seeing a dead short. Was it making any sound at all?

Then again if your amp is shorted it probably should have gone into protect. Could have been the repair as well.

as far as hooking it up i think thats a good possibility what happened is some sort of short. but it was playing music and it sounded great. maybe what ever (sensor?) that tells the amp to protect failed. but if it were shorted it wouldnt play music hmmmm. thanks for throwin out some ideas. i just dropped it back off to get repaired by memphis and the shop owner said he'd put a nastygram with it lol. hell maybe theyll just replace the whole board or the amp :P

sorry to worry you guys i didnt wire the speakers wrong now that i think about it, i just couldn't believe that something else would go wrong after my baby came back so i blamed myself for smokin it. anyway i'll let yall know how it turns out . when i get it back

Archived