Sonic Electronix

So me and a friend started doing installs for some extra cash. We put these Dual's in a 1998 Dodge Durango. The have LEDs built in to light up. What is the easiest way to power them? i've done them on a Blazer and we just ran power through the rubber boot between the door and car. But the durango has them front and back and the rubber boot in the door seems to not go through to the car. I think there is a connector on the end. If i hook them up to the speaker wire what would happen? and I haven't been able to find a 12v wire in the door.

Thanks

Matt :8)

Umm hook up a power to the leds, you will prob be able to ground to the chassis of the car. but you would still need a 12v constant ran into the door, with a switch to turn the led's off and on because I wouldnt think the person would want them on 24/7. Or run them off a ignition switched power source so they turn on and off with the car.

Most likely there is already a constant or switched power source inside the door if you where any type of installer a test light or dmm would provide you a way to find it. Some where in the power doorlock or power window harness you could tap into, but again you wouldnt be able to switch them on and off manually which is something needed.

Really now, if your doing installs and dont know how to wire up led's I dont think you should be doing installs on peoples vehicles, let alone running gear made by Dual when most stock speakers will out perform a dual brand speaker. Most newer dodges (rams, caravans, town and countrys, durangos) 96 and up come with a infinity speaker setup or powered infinity speakers..

trust me i test lighted with 3 different grounds and couldn't find one keyed, but no that i think about it i dont think my friend turn on the key. oops. the kid we installed them for bought the duals. yes it is an infinity system, but they all were blown. sry about asking i was just wondering if anybody had prior knowledge to make it easier on me.

thanks

if the vehicle has power locks or windows there is a power source in the door.

the power windows will be switched power, with the key on the windows will go up and down.

If you tap of the power windows power, the lights will turn on and off when the key is on, and turn off when the key is off. even still this isnt too great to use because for example if you get pulled over and the cops see it, you will most likely get a ticket.

the power door locks are constant power, meaning it dont matter if the key is on or off, the power locks will lock and unlock.

If you tap into the power locks your led's will be on all the time unless you put a inline switch between the power from the locks and the leds. If you do this, you will need to run a switch on every door to turn the led's on and off...

your best idea is running a switch in the dash, and run a power wire 16-12 gauge to from the switch to each speaker, then chassis ground the negative of the led's to the door frame, thus making only one wire to run.

They will blink to the beat of the music if you wire them up to the speakers.

BUT..............................

Led's are very low voltage, they are like 1.5-6volt depending on brand, usally there is a circuit board that wull reduce the vehicles voltage to the led voltage like a transformer..

If you over power the led's which you will if you hook them up to the speaker wires they will fry when volume gets turned up to a certain point..

I wouldnt consider doing something so half assed like to that to my own vehicle let alone a customer that came to you to install his door speakers.

And yes I do have experience, not only do I work at an audio shop installing, I also work for installernet.com where i go from place to place through out my state doing various installs.

Oh and I would never half ass some thing in a customers car. This kid is getting a deal. We wired a head unit, 4 speakers, and a sub/amp. All wires are hidden. We had most of the interior out hiding the wiring. We only charged him $60 for labor. we had about 12+ hours in it. Every connection is soldered and heat shrinked.