So my house is old. It was built in the 1940s, and is definitely a fixer upper.

I'm replacing all the old ceiling fans, and went to replace the one in my master bedroom when I got interrupted mid wiring. I removed the old one to find out I had to replace the electric box in order to fasten the new fan in, and disconnect all the wires. I took a picture but in real life it's a mess what they have going on, so I drew a sketch up to represent what I put back together. I'm 95% sure it's how things were before, but now a few outlets don't work along one wall in the same room, so I figure I did something wrong.

The first note in red says "120v constant", the 2nd down says "120v switched". The lowest one says "must be connected to constant for switch to work".

The off color wiring is so old the jacket is braided cloth- all the same color.

It had to be wired this way in order for the ceiling fans to operate properly, the only problem I'm having is like 3 outlets not working now. I checked all the breakers, but I only flipped the one off where I was working.

I tested with a wireless electric sensor and there's definitely power going to the outlets- but after some testing with a DMM it appears both the neutral and hot wires have power going through them at all times. I can see where this would be a problem but I don't know what I should try switching around since there are MANY options, and I'm really really tired/drained to think about it any more tonight. Any advice is appreaciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Edited by tejcurrent

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

u can buy an outlet tester at lowes for about 8 bucks. are u sure that all the breakers are working properly?

OR the white wire u have connected to the 2 blk+brown wire may have been the neutral for those outlets...

2006 Altima 2.5

Alpine Iva- w200 Head unit

2 L7 kicker 12s in a slot ported box tuned to 38 Hz

Rf T10001 @ 1 ohm

Rf P4004 @ 4 ohms

Poineer TS-D161R 6.5" in door panels

Pioneer TS-D690R 6" x 9" in rear

stinger 1/0 wiring

I tried the outlet tester I do have, as well as the dmm and the outlet tester wont light up at all in these outlets (again because there is no ground to even complete the circuit).

That large bundle of 4 wires in the center of the box tests no power- all of those are neutral. When checking with a DMM the ONLY wire with power entering the box is the constant I have labeled, everything else has no power switched or not.

The outlets in question are on the same breaker as the entire upstairs :P

I'm going to check the insualtion real quick, but like I said the white wire on the right that enters the center bundle and all of the wires in the center are testing no power. Thanks for the replies guys.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

iono wht to tell u... if i was there i prolly could help, sorry!

2006 Altima 2.5

Alpine Iva- w200 Head unit

2 L7 kicker 12s in a slot ported box tuned to 38 Hz

Rf T10001 @ 1 ohm

Rf P4004 @ 4 ohms

Poineer TS-D161R 6.5" in door panels

Pioneer TS-D690R 6" x 9" in rear

stinger 1/0 wiring

Santa was good- but I still have no outlet- so I will send someone cash who can correctly diagnose a wiring error. Or if someone is local to Myrtle Beach I will pay you to fix it! I need this working. I'm about to call a damn electrician, watch it be something stupid I should've figured out all along lol.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

the best thing i can say to do is, take down the fan, and undo all of the wireing up there, so youre starting from scratch, have your dimm handy, remove the cover from the switch and the outlet thats the problem, and in the celing there should be 1 hot wire comeing from the breaker box, then from that point (hot wire) you will need to track down the wire going to the switch , and when you connect the hot wire flip the switch and make sure you have power at the swithc and it kills the power when turned off, after that is found then you have a hot switch for the fan, and will know which wires of the fan go to the house wireing, then you should have set left that will feed the outlet.

let me figure it out and draw it up in paint shop for ya......

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

ok lets see if i can explain this in a better manner lol...

wireing.gif

ok 1 set wires are from breaker box one hot one net and one bare ground

1 set that go to and from switch

1 set that go to outlets ect

connect the white of outlets to white of house and same goes for black from house to outlets, and do same for grounds (bare wire)

then you will be left with the switch wires, you will take the wire going to the switch and put on the black side of house wireing, may call for a jumper wire to make long enough, and verify you have power at switch and the other gets hot cold with flip of switch,

the left over wire is the hot side for the fan (black and blue wire on fan)

then you will need to take a jumper from the white wire and put it on the white wire of the fan.

if that does not fix the outlet you may have a bad outlet that is causeing the problems with the outlets. check all in the room and adjoing rooms, i have seen an outlet 6 outlets down affect all others on the string because of the guts gone bad and made the ground and net hot because of it arcing inside the outlet.

Edited by mrwigglezdj

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets