Air Intake questions

Guest MegaloManiac

I gotta admit when it comes to under the hood I know my way to get around and get by, but when it comes to real performanace i only know "so" much. I probally should look on another forum but hey we have a section so i though id utilize it.

1. Can an aftermarket Intake(cold or not) make a difference gas wise?

2. Is it true a few horsepower gain happens?

3. Can the "noise" be controlled?

i have an 00 accord LX sdn 4cyl 2.3L vtec if that matters

Yes it can help with gas mileage...

Yes there are a few that only give a few HP, but some can add 15-20+. Doubt there's any for your ride that can do that much though.

They're not really that loud in the first place. My wife has one on her Accord and I can't even tell it's there, noise wise.

So here we go.

1. Honestly, most companies that advertise fuel mileage increases are full of it.  Physics says that in order to increase HP, you must have Fuel and Air, adding just air is only one element of the puzzle.

2. It cannot be proven that any CAI can increase HP.  Companies claim it, but how can they prove any HP claim, when all they can do is measure the power on a static dyno, that can not utilize a CAI.  Make sense?

3. No,  Increased air means increased noise.

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

Guest MegaloManiac

hypothetically: What if i bought an Intake and it didnt have the bypass valve & and water gets sucked in...what would happen and  what to do in that situation?

Thought I would share some insite...I've been tuneing high performance import motors for several years, so I can answer some of your questions.

Cold air intakes obviously take in ambient air from outside of the engine bay (or lower in the engine bay).  Cold air is more dense than warmer air.  When a cold air intake is installed on a vehicle, their are two ways that your ECU will adjust for correction, 1) Air Intake Temp. sensor 2) On the back side, your o2 sensor(s).  Depending on the vehicle you have, this may or may not take place...and if it does take place, their are ways to "trick" the ecu.

Your Accord uses an OBDIIb ECU, and will look for two o2 sensors (one before, and one after the cat.) and correct for the differnce between the two readings.  Because adding air without increasing fuel at the same time will "lean" the air/fuel ration out, your computer will then send additional pulses to the injectors to come back to a stoich. Lambda (Air Fuel) reading.

**On a side note, increasing the actual volume of air by way of turbo/supercharger will increase manifold absolute pressure, triggering the MAP sensor to add/remove fuel advance/retard timing.

Adding "colder" air to your engine increases efficiency within the cylinders (more HP)... by itself does NOT add fuel, and so in a way, you get a couple more hp without increasing gas milage...

The biggest change you will notice from the installation of your intake, besides the sound of air rushing in, will be throttle response.  The car will 'seem" more fun to drive around.

As for sucking in water through your intake....CLUCK!!  The motor will hydrolock and more than likely you will need to rebuild your motor.  Please understand though, that normal rain water droplets will not damage your motor...sucking in a puddle will.

If you are seriously looking for more power, the 2.2 and the 2.3 motors respond best to the following;

1)Bigger throttle body

2)aftermarket big tube header (not ebay shit, DC, apexi, etc.)

**My crew chief makes a header for these motors that pick up 20 REAL HP on the dyno...we spend hours and hours on the dyno testing different header configurations.

3) Bigger cams

That is the cheapest, easiest way to get more power, at least All-Motor power, out of your 2.3