Sonic Electronix

How To Properly Pack Car Audio Gear For Shipping.

Hey everyone.

I've seen how some audio stuff is packed on this forum and some other forums, and I thought I would throw out some good ways to pack some different gear. I've had some gear come in and I have asked myself how it didn't arive in peices, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that. So, here we start with the first item.

Packing an Amp:

start out with your amp in the work area

12-29-08_1642-1.jpg

wrap it with bubble wrap. It is also a good idea to put the amp into a plastic bag and seal that to keep moisture out. with the bubble wrap, be sure to cover every part of the amp.

12-29-08_1825.jpg

this step is optional, but recomended. put an extra piece of bubble wrap on the far edges for a little extra suport.

12-29-08_1838.jpg

12-29-08_1839.jpg

get a box that will have enough room around the amp so you can get atleast 2 inches of fill(packing peanuts) all the way around the amp. newspaper, tissue paper, or any paper is NOT a good filler material. please do not use it. Because if you use it and your item gets broken, I can garentee you that your insurance claim will get denied.

12-29-08_1840.jpg

after you get the amp in the middle of the box and get all the fill in. be sure to over fill by about 10% so that there is a lil bubble at the top of the box so if a heavey box is put ontop of it, the box will go flat ontop instead of going concave.

12-29-08_1841.jpg

now. with the box all sealed up, getyour fragle stickers on and i always put my Pack and Ship promis sticker on because at my store, if i pack it, it has a no break guarentee or your money back.

12-29-08_1842.jpg

i will try and get more things packed with pictures like batteries, subs(big and small), speakers, HU's, Moniters, Wire. ect. so it will be more benifitial to the forum. Please everyone. No one likes to recieve a broke or damaged item, that an extra moment, spend a few extra dollars, do it right, and insure it for what you sold it for.

Here is a rule of thumb when shipping BNIB items, if it is in the original packing(ie styrophome or such) it will be ok, but shill put that box in a box.

any questions, please PM me, i will love to help

Bills

Edited by soberbills

KwB

Team DC Audio Midwest captain

hehe thats my amp!

NOVEMBER 2008 SYSTEM OF THE MONTH!

ORIGINAL YUKON BUILD!

TEAM DTF

TEAM Rival Mobile Electronics

TEAM Xs Power

94 yukon

12 Rival C15s

50+ Boston mids and highs

15 Xs power D2400

600+ ft of 1/0

10+ gallons of resin

99 Silverado.

4 15" Treo SSX

Stetsom 14k2d

5 CD tech batteries

155+ daily

Team DTF

"did you just drive past my house in your stupidly loud car. if it was you, you knocked a vase off my fire place."

hehe thats my amp!

Yes sir, will be shipped tomorrow. unfortuantly with the holliday, it won't get to you till next week. but ya man. will be in one piece. haha

Bills

KwB

Nice packjob. But personally i think using peanuts for packing is not a good idea for amps or subs. Some people swear by it but I dont think its provides enough support to hold the item in place. When the item is able to shift durring the shipment it can damage itself.

Team S.S.C.

DB Drag Street A 2011 National Champ

DC Audio Dealer

Nor Cal AA Dealer

Incriminator Audio Dealer

CA Sundown Audio Dealer

[email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Nice packjob. But personally i think using peanuts for packing is not a good idea for amps or subs. Some people swear by it but I dont think its provides enough support to hold the item in place. When the item is able to shift durring the shipment it can damage itself.

Very good point. but when you over fill by about 10% percent and you creat a preasure and you compres the penuts, your item will stay in one place. i'm not saying your wrong. because penuts alone is not enough to pack these things. subwoofers are somthing entirely differnt, i will get to those as soon as i can. haha

Bills

KwB

Very good point. but when you over fill by about 10% percent and you creat a preasure and you compres the penuts, your item will stay in one place. i'm not saying your wrong. because penuts alone is not enough to pack these things. subwoofers are somthing entirely differnt, i will get to those as soon as i can. haha

Bills

Ha ha! I am just really critical on packing. I am notorious for over packing everything I ship. It's not a bad thing I guess but I just know how it feels to get screwed by bad packing.. Its happened to me to many times.... You seem like you know what your doing. Kudos to you bro.

Edited by ssackett

Team S.S.C.

DB Drag Street A 2011 National Champ

DC Audio Dealer

Nor Cal AA Dealer

Incriminator Audio Dealer

CA Sundown Audio Dealer

[email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Guest Fi-Beat-Down

Great job, I think you did well another tip for anyone shipping heavy items, or need to eat up lose space in your box is to use inflatable pillows.

I was once a power seller on ebay selling 5000 plus items in a year, me and my family did it,

we bought a - Packaging System that produces on-demand, inflatable pillows,

you get them in a flat roll, and a machine will blow them up and seal them fast like 50-90 a min

there strong and help out a lot, and my customers liked them said i over did the packing and was very impressed.

You can buy them already blown up and ready to use for basic sellers, or one time shipping.

ps you can never use enough tape, when shipping heavy items, overkill is better then your box failing apart.

f_523280m_b69b364.jpg

Yes. ok. i'll do one on batteries now. i don't ahve any pics. but i want to get one done before bed.

ok, first. i would take any bolts or post off. be sure its a sealed battery, you can't ship a non sealed.

your going to want to use some sort of box inside a box method or a styrophom(sp?) lined box for these guys. or hell, put the two together. but the main thing is. make sure your battery is secure and does not move in the box, if it does, it will do more damage to other things(box, other packages, its case) before doing much damage to itself. you want to use alot of foam IMO for these. no penuts, this will not work. no air pockets either. they will pop. bassicly, double box it, make sure you don't have any week spots, and you should be good to go. and if it is over seventy poiunds. be prepared to spend a couple extra bucks at UPS. haha USPS don't ship more that 70 pounds i belive and idk about fedex. they are pry about the same as UPS, 150 or so. i have to look. but ya. haha.

Bills

KwB

Guest Fi-Beat-Down
Yes. ok. i'll do one on batteries now. i don't ahve any pics. but i want to get one done before bed.

ok, first. i would take any bolts or post off. be sure its a sealed battery, you can't ship a non sealed.

your going to want to use some sort of box inside a box method or a styrophom(sp?) lined box for these guys. or hell, put the two together. but the main thing is. make sure your battery is secure and does not move in the box, if it does, it will do more damage to other things(box, other packages, its case) before doing much damage to itself. you want to use alot of foam IMO for these. no penuts, this will not work. no air pockets either. they will pop. bassicly, double box it, make sure you don't have any week spots, and you should be good to go. and if it is over seventy poiunds. be prepared to spend a couple extra bucks at UPS. haha USPS don't ship more that 70 pounds i belive and idk about fedex. they are pry about the same as UPS, 150 or so. i have to look. but ya. haha.

Bills

for battery's, try floral foam to keep it wedged , its pretty stiff and solid, and cheap.