FDB is well and good but when you have 5 or 10 heads ripping back and forth at the speed required to keep up with 10krpm platters... unless you have a really quiet case all you'll be hearing is TOCK TOCK TOCK or CLINK CLINK CLINK if they drives have a few hours on them :o

Personally I would still do it :D

can quiet up a case with peal and seal :spiteful: . I got these a while back with every intention of building a bad ass gamer then I changed focus and built a mid level comp for the wife and a little better one for the kids. Now all I have are the hard drives. They are probably going back into the closet.

can quiet up a case with peal and seal :spiteful: . I got these a while back with every intention of building a bad ass gamer then I changed focus and built a mid level comp for the wife and a little better one for the kids. Now all I have are the hard drives. They are probably going back into the closet.

I've often wondered if Dynamat'ing a case would make it quieter. Mines foam dampened and has noise prevention stuff left right and center so it's never bothered me but in a noisier case I can see how it might help.

It's hard to say if it's worth it with the drives really. If you had a nice grunty Adaptec controller sitting round doing nothing it would be well worth it but because a controller that's good enough to make it worthwhile will still cost you a decent stack of coin you may as well save your money and just get good SATA2 drives.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I've often wondered if Dynamat'ing a case would make it quieter. Mines foam dampened and has noise prevention stuff left right and center so it's never bothered me but in a noisier case I can see how it might help.

It's hard to say if it's worth it with the drives really. If you had a nice grunty Adaptec controller sitting round doing nothing it would be well worth it but because a controller that's good enough to make it worthwhile will still cost you a decent stack of coin you may as well save your money and just get good SATA2 drives.

I used some left over dampener on an old HP and it shut it right up. That and good fans. I don't have the controller anymore(someone offered me more than I paid). If I never use them it's OK. I have all kinds of shit like this.

The other thing you have to remember for gaming is that faster hard drives don't have much of a point... Your hard drives don't really do anything during a game, just loading it up. For a gaming computer, you would be much better off spending the money elsewhere, such as on video cards.

That being said, I still say go for it, atleast with a couple of them. You could do a raid 1/0 setup I think it is called where you have raid 0 with two drives and the other two mirroring incase one goes out and keep the last for a "spair"...

But to raytard, there is a difference than an all out gaming computer and a gaming minded computer. You can build a pretty decent all around computer and throw a good video card that would play practically any game on high settings for quite a bit less than $1k. The way my computer sits I probably have $700 or so put into it last updated over a year ago, and I can still play all but the crysis tier games on basically highest settings at 1920x1080.