I picked up 5 Seagate Cheetah ST336807LW 36gb 10k rpm hard drives I was going to use in a gaming computer and I am trying to decide if I actually need them. Anyone have experience with them? They are not cheap and I just don't know if I have a use anymore. Thoughts?

who has a gaming computer?

sell it to middleschoolers, apparently they love that junk, and invest it in some resin and glass and bondo and brushes and shit to do those pods you mention in your sig.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

sell it to middleschoolers, apparently they love that junk, and invest it in some resin and glass and bondo and brushes and shit to do those pods you mention in your sig.

Wow... :01nocomment8so:

Airborne go for it! Hella fast access/write speeds, 15k RPM FTW. Although, RAID 0 em, don't forget to do a weekly backup though, if one of the hard drives fail, good luck on getting any data recovered.

Don't forget a reliable SCSI controller too. ;)

I've got an old Pentium 3 dual socket motherboard with two SCSI slots.. hehe. $30 at Goodwill FTW.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Damn man. I am going to get the pods going, but when I have time. And these fuckers are not cheap. Look them up anywhere from $200.00 each to $350.00. Show me a kid in middle school who can afford them.

middleschoolers borrow mommy and daddy's money

i used to do the whole gaming computer thing, but realistically, you just paid~$1000 for hardware that will be replaced by a better version for 1/3rd the price in a year or so. I dropped like $1800 bux when i was 15 or so to build an amazing gaming computer, 2 years later HP offered a computer with better specs, a printer and a monitor for $1500, and around there i decided its not worth it, just my .02 (hey, you asked for thoughts)

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

middleschoolers borrow mommy and daddy's money

i used to do the whole gaming computer thing, but realistically, you just paid~$1000 for hardware that will be replaced by a better version for 1/3rd the price in a year or so. I dropped like $1800 bux when i was 15 or so to build an amazing gaming computer, 2 years later HP offered a computer with better specs, a printer and a monitor for $1500, and around there i decided its not worth it, just my .02 (hey, you asked for thoughts)

I'm no pussy. I can take tough talk. And yeah I did spend a little money on something might not use. But why the harsh ass talk? I build most things as far as I can go at the time. It's what I do. Waste of time? Maybe, but I would still have a fast ass computer and my sons love gaming, they would have a good time with a computer that fast.. Funny thing is I don't even play video games.

Wow... :01nocomment8so:

Airborne go for it! Hella fast access/write speeds, 15k RPM FTW. Although, RAID 0 em, don't forget to do a weekly backup though, if one of the hard drives fail, good luck on getting any data recovered.

Don't forget a reliable SCSI controller too. ;)

I've got an old Pentium 3 dual socket motherboard with two SCSI slots.. hehe. $30 at Goodwill FTW.

I was going to get a SCSI controll card. These things can be like 10 deep on a card! Fuckin crazy. I just lost interest in such a fast computer. (I have 4 up and running right now)

Only useful if you have a good SCSI RAID controller.

Then you could do an epic 5-disk RAID0 which would be fast as all hell but when it loaded anything it would sound like a sack of spanners falling down a staircase.

They're designed as server drives for a reason :)

Also what's the connector on them? If they're SCA then they're a bit pointless because a 5 drive SCA enclosure will cost you more than they're worth.

Also if they're SCSI160 they're worthless. Ultra 320 minimum :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Only useful if you have a good SCSI RAID controller.

Then you could do an epic 5-disk RAID0 which would be fast as all hell but when it loaded anything it would sound like a sack of spanners falling down a staircase.

They're designed as server drives for a reason :)

Also what's the connector on them? If they're SCA then they're a bit pointless because a 5 drive SCA enclosure will cost you more than they're worth.

Also if they're SCSI160 they're worthless. Ultra 320 minimum :)

IT'S A 68-pin connection. Also fluid dynamic bearing (FDB) technology that reduces drive acoustics is supposed to quiet them down like a mofo. My homie has a setup sort of like it and it is no louder than the 1tb in my kids computer.

IT'S A 68-pin connection. Also fluid dynamic bearing (FDB) technology that reduces drive acoustics is supposed to quiet them down like a mofo. My homie has a setup sort of like it and it is no louder than the 1tb in my kids computer.

FDB is well and good but when you have 5 or 10 heads ripping back and forth at the speed required to keep up with 10krpm platters... unless you have a really quiet case all you'll be hearing is TOCK TOCK TOCK or CLINK CLINK CLINK if they drives have a few hours on them :o

Personally I would still do it :D

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!