Blown Capacitors

I recently had an Nvidia (EVGA-made) Geforce 6200 card on me that blew 4 of the 7 capacitors. i know this because the top of the capacitor has split apart partially and leaked orange-ish colored material out.

the top of the caps say

FZ6C

6.3v

the wires on them are just over 3mm apart.

my question is, can i replace the capacitors and at least have the card working back to normal? the card is already broken because it gives out BSOD's in about 5 minutes with the way it is now, i want to at least attempt to fix it. i know how to solder and etc so it shouldnt be too painstaking.

also, where can i pick up a few of these capacitors. any stores etc that sell them?

I recently had an Nvidia (EVGA-made) Geforce 6200 card on me that blew 4 of the 7 capacitors. i know this because the top of the capacitor has split apart partially and leaked orange-ish colored material out.

the top of the caps say

FZ6C

6.3v

the wires on them are just over 3mm apart.

my question is, can i replace the capacitors and at least have the card working back to normal? the card is already broken because it gives out BSOD's in about 5 minutes with the way it is now, i want to at least attempt to fix it. i know how to solder and etc so it shouldnt be too painstaking.

also, where can i pick up a few of these capacitors. any stores etc that sell them?

is it 1000uf?

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

chances are if you blew the caps, you blew something else too...

Also, check your powersupply to see if it is large enough, not have one big enough is a good way to blow up caps.

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

chances are if you blew the caps, you blew something else too...

Also, check your powersupply to see if it is large enough, not have one big enough is a good way to blow up caps.

im using the computer that had the broken video card, i slapped in an old MX420 and it works fine. the thing is, my computer had the card in there for a few months, then it was on idle for a while one day and when i turned the screen on i saw a BSOD.

edit: i also remember that earlier in the day when this happened, my friend tripped on the power cord and it unplugged, shutting my computer off instantly, along with my monitor and some other computer peripherals i have. do you think that couldve caused it?

Yeah that could have caused some sort of spike through the power supply...

You can try soldering on some new caps but they'll probably be worth about the same as a 6200 is these days. Plus it's difficult to solder on them because they use multiple layer PCBs and really really fine traces so it's really easy to mess up the PCB.

Also the card is probably messed up in another way. It's probably a paperweight.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Archived