Second Skin Audio

18" Bl Installation In Tahoe

Hey fellas

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe.

I am just about to install my first sound system and have come across some questions.

First off I would like to know in the very basic form of things, and I mean very basic, the wire you use for ground and the wire you use for power are the same thing with just different insulation.

Am I correct?

Second, I am thinking about mounting my RF t10001bd amp underneath the seat behind the driver seat.

I saw that Steve did that but I am not sure how seeing as though there are braces underneath the seat leaving no room for an amp.

So I was wondering how he did that?

Third, I am building my own 9 cubic foot box, of course, and was thinking about texturing/painting it with the same stuff Steve did because I want that extra durability and it looks sick.

Does anyone know where I could pick that stuff up at? and how much it costs?

Fourth, for the longest time I was going to put my Kinetik HC1400 in the back by the sub box but just today I thought of putting it in the engine compartment so that a.) I don't have to run as much power wire and b.) everything is up front.

I have not really ever seen this been done, I have always seen the secondary battery in the back.

Could someone find me a place to buy a battery tray or something of that nature?

and if you are wondering I found a spot closest to the windshield on the passenger side underneath a brace.

Fifth, when I was wiring up the Bl last night I realized that I bought 10 gauge speaker wire and in order to have an OHM load of 1 I have to run speaker wire out of a terminal with speaker wire already in it and the terminal can only probably fit up to 8 gauge.

How do I work around that?

I don't really want to buy smaller wire either.

Last but not least, I recently installed the Alpine CDA-9884 and could not find a dimmer wire but I could find the illumination.

Is there somewhere else I need to look in order to find it?

I would really like some way to dull the blaring light some times at night.

Also before I start the car the radio will unit will power up and pop.

What do I need to fix that?

I know this is a lot of questions but I want to get the install right the first time so any help with these questions is appreciated :)

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

Hey fellas

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe.

I am just about to install my first sound system and have come across some questions.

First off I would like to know in the very basic form of things, and I mean very basic, the wire you use for ground and the wire you use for power are the same thing with just different insulation.

Am I correct?

same wire no different insulation. use 1/0 guage wire for the amp you have mentioned

Second, I am thinking about mounting my RF t10001bd amp underneath the seat behind the driver seat.

I saw that Steve did that but I am not sure how seeing as though there are braces underneath the seat leaving no room for an amp.

So I was wondering how he did that?

that amp is tons smaller then steves it will fit there, when you get the amp youll get more of an idea how

Third, I am building my own 9 cubic foot box, of course, and was thinking about texturing/painting it with the same stuff Steve did because I want that extra durability and it looks sick.

Does anyone know where I could pick that stuff up at? and how much it costs?

you can get fleckstone at any lowes or home depot, its about 9 dollars a can, for 9 cubes id get about 6-7 cans

Fourth, for the longest time I was going to put my Kinetik HC1400 in the back by the sub box but just today I thought of putting it in the engine compartment so that a.) I don't have to run as much power wire and b.) everything is up front.

I have not really ever seen this been done, I have always seen the secondary battery in the back.

Could someone find me a place to buy a battery tray or something of that nature?

and if you are wondering I found a spot closest to the windshield on the passenger side underneath a brace.

you wont really save wire, considering that it has to go to the back either way and both need to be wired to one another

Fifth, when I was wiring up the Bl last night I realized that I bought 10 gauge speaker wire and in order to have an OHM load of 1 I have to run speaker wire out of a terminal with speaker wire already in it and the terminal can only probably fit up to 8 gauge.

How do I work around that?

I don't really want to buy smaller wire either.

10 guage speaker wire is smaller then 8 gauge. twist them together then place them in the terminal

Last but not least, I recently installed the Alpine CDA-9884 and could not find a dimmer wire but I could find the illumination.

Is there somewhere else I need to look in order to find it?

I would really like some way to dull the blaring light some times at night.

Also before I start the car the radio will unit will power up and pop.

What do I need to fix that?

the start up pop is usually a ground problem

I know this is a lot of questions but I want to get the install right the first time so any help with these questions is appreciated :)

answers are bolded, i left out your illumination problem because i dont know the answer

answers are bolded, i left out your illumination problem because i dont know the answer

thanks for all the answers.

I know my amp is tons smaller than Steve's is but even under his seats there is bracing for the seats and somehow there is carpet over it?

I got my amp and tried it today and it didn't fit so my dad has a crazy idea where he is going to float the amp. He is really good with installation so I am going to go with that until we realize we need to do it more like Steve.

thanks for the advice on the battery but I would still like to see if I could get it to work up front.

I just tried twisting them together and it didn't fit.

Also there is some type of thread like material weaved in with the speaker wire.

Will that damage anything or do I need to remove it.

this is it.

otherwise thanks for all your help.

the hoe :)

01-03-09_1703.jpg

the BL :)

12-26-08_1539.jpg

and btw I wear size 12 shoes.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

Ehhh, I myself wouldnt use that wire. Id use some regualr wire from Rockford, either 12 or 10 gauge, thatll work fine.

And If you just want to test the OHMs of the sub, just throw any gauge wire in there for testing, it really doesnt matter as long as it not a longggg strand of wire thatll throw off the reading.

Team DC!

2005 F150 | Pioneer | Infinity Kappa 6x8's | MTX 3404 4 Channel | Q Logic Kicks | KNU | DC | AQ |

1998 Taurus | Alpine | Punch 5x7's | Rockford Fosgate | MTX | KNU |

i think that wire is ment for say if you have the box terminals running in to the amp

you ciould use power wire like this one for you speaker wire http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11969_...G8250+Roll.html

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

i think that wire is ment for say if you have the box terminals running in to the amp

you ciould use power wire like this one for you speaker wire http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11969_...G8250+Roll.html

Thats what I used on my old set up. Had 12 gauge on 1500 watts a speaker. Switched to 8 gauge power wire and it got louder.

Team DC!

2005 F150 | Pioneer | Infinity Kappa 6x8's | MTX 3404 4 Channel | Q Logic Kicks | KNU | DC | AQ |

1998 Taurus | Alpine | Punch 5x7's | Rockford Fosgate | MTX | KNU |

True 10 gauge is fine

yea 10 is perfectly fine when you use true 8 awg as i did even if the terminals are 8awg once you figure you have to wire it in parallel(1 ohm for your situation) squeezing two positive and two negative wires in one speaker terminal becomes tight i would stick with 10awg just for ease of install and it isnt going to hurt anything

1 Fi Sp4 18

Crescendo 2k

selenium mids

audioque supertweets

Hifonics for mids and and highs

1/0 power and grounds

---> on the way singer alt and possibly another

2k depending how sub likes 1 2k