Sundown Audio

Setting The Gain

jizzybizzy

everyone here is going to tell me to look at the stickied "setting the amplifier gain" topic.. however.. i did ... and i have one question

dmm.jpg

what do i turn my cheapo dmm to in order to set it properly? i know it has to be on AC which it is. i just dont know what the knob needs to be on?

you ain't been bizzy til you've been wit jizzy.

Vehicle:: 2005 Saturn Ion

Headunit:: Jensen 9312HD

Speakers:: RE SE Coaxials

Subwoofer(s):: (2) 15" RE SEs

Amplifier(s):: Audiopipe AP1500.1D

Audiopipe AP1504

Enclosure:: Sealed

Wire: KNU KONCEPTZ 1/0

Battery:: Kinetik HC600

are you putting the probes on the positive and negative speaker terminals on your amp?

I would say 10 A

yeah i watched the demo and read everything ... i know what to do ... it just never said what setting i should put it on... thanks :good:

you ain't been bizzy til you've been wit jizzy.

Vehicle:: 2005 Saturn Ion

Headunit:: Jensen 9312HD

Speakers:: RE SE Coaxials

Subwoofer(s):: (2) 15" RE SEs

Amplifier(s):: Audiopipe AP1500.1D

Audiopipe AP1504

Enclosure:: Sealed

Wire: KNU KONCEPTZ 1/0

Battery:: Kinetik HC600

Guest mkornely89

Ive always done the amps times voltage equals power, so if you know the voltage your amp is seeing, and you measure the current at the speaker terminals on your amp, you have the power.

Guest mkornely89

Another way i saw on here was to put the DMM on AC volts and measure (with the probes) at your speaker terminals you are using. By using the equation (watts x resistance)^(1/2)= volts, you can determine the power your amp, if it does 600 Watts RMS at 2 ohms, or whatever you have. so in that case, 600x2=1200, the sq. root of 1200 is almost 35, you should measure at your speaker terminals and adjust your gain know until you measure 35 volts. Really, you can do it a lot of ways, because you can manipulate it and convert it into different equations.

are you putting the probes on the positive and negative speaker terminals on your amp?

I would say 10 A

thats for amps, you need volts. set it on 200v

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

Guest mkornely89

yes, i tried to elaborate in my next post. but if you want, you can measure your amps at the speaker terminals as well, if you know what your voltage is at your amp. So if the voltage at your B+ is 13, and your amp can do 600 Watts, than measure at your speaker terminals until you measure 46 amps. Basically, use whatever ohms law equation you want. I think the important thing is the constant 50 Hz test tone at 0 dB. with that being constant, your DMM readings wont jump around

I would say 10 A

Real good advice here :01nocomment8so:

The resistance of your multimeter when set to measure amps is pretty close to 0 ohms. So not only will you blow the fuck out of your multimeter (often the 10A setting is unfused) you'll also either instantly protect your amplifier or blow that up too.

Set it to 200 in the V range. the _ with the ~ indicates it will measure both AC and DC.

yes, i tried to elaborate in my next post. but if you want, you can measure your amps at the speaker terminals as well, if you know what your voltage is at your amp. So if the voltage at your B+ is 13, and your amp can do 600 Watts, than measure at your speaker terminals until you measure 46 amps. Basically, use whatever ohms law equation you want. I think the important thing is the constant 50 Hz test tone at 0 dB. with that being constant, your DMM readings wont jump around

Holy crap, it just gets worse.

46 amps at the speaker terminals?!

With my VFL400.1's when I see 46 amps at the SPEAKER TERMINALS the amp is outputting over 2000 watts into a 1 ohm load.

Do you really think the B+ has anything to do with the output current?

THE AMPLIFIER DOES NOT OUTPUT THE B+ VOLTAGE

THEREFORE V=/=B+ THEREFORE V=IR is null and fucking void for this.

46 amps into a 4 ohm load = 184v

E^2/R = 8464w...

God damn. Until you know enough that people aren't going to BLOW THEIR SHIT UP by listening to you, stop giving advice.

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

wow...out of the 9 responses some actually managed to answer the OP's question...

Set it to 200 in the V range. the _ with the ~ indicates it will measure both AC and DC.

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz