Second Skin Audio

Box Tuning

jcro_61

Ok so I wanna know exactly what the tuning factor of a ported box does.

For example , when I was looking at the FI Q subs they reccomend 28-3x hz tuning. What is the difference exactly bewteen tuning at 28 or like 34. Whats the difference and in what situation would you choose a lower or higher tuning?

2015 Chevy Sonic

CTX65cs - Image Dynamics 6.5" front

CTX65 - Image Dynamics 6.5" rear

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3
Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4
Sundown SAE-600D

Sundown SD3-10

No replies? I been googling but cannot find an answer other than the basic quick explanation I already know. I am really looking for an indepth type of answer and nothing I can find on my own explains it well, its mostly extremly dumb down writings.

2015 Chevy Sonic

Sundown SAE-600D

Sundown SD3-10

It creates a peak in the response curve at the resonant frequency of the port.

You can either use it to create a peak in output for SPL applications or if you tune low, below the natural roll-off of the driver, you can use it to extend bass response.

A higher tuning point usually results in a larger peak in the response at that point, but if you play notes under the frequency the enclosure no longer provides suitable loading on the rear of the cone. The woofer will 'unload' - it will behave as if it's running free air so the output will be minimal and the cone will have much less control so it will be far more likely to bottom out.

Conversely low tuning often means the woofer is 'muddy' in the upper bass (60-80hz) because the port is relatively constricting.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

It creates a peak in the response curve at the resonant frequency of the port.

You can either use it to create a peak in output for SPL applications or if you tune low, below the natural roll-off of the driver, you can use it to extend bass response.

A higher tuning point usually results in a larger peak in the response at that point, but if you play notes under the frequency the enclosure no longer provides suitable loading on the rear of the cone. The woofer will 'unload' - it will behave as if it's running free air so the output will be minimal and the cone will have much less control so it will be far more likely to bottom out.

Conversely low tuning often means the woofer is 'muddy' in the upper bass (60-80hz) because the port is relatively constricting.

Thank you

2015 Chevy Sonic

Sundown SAE-600D

Sundown SD3-10

it's like blowing into a water bottle, the bottle makes a hissing sound..that is it's resonant frequency. Same thing goes with a sub box, tuning a box for lower frequency's preforms better for a daily driver, but if you compete in comps and such you will most likely want to tune in the higher frequency range.

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

Archived