The "Them be shinny boxes" work log... 56k uberdeath!!

Ok this will be a work log of 2 boxes. 1.09@29Hz and 1.00@43Hz. Both are getting the same treatment, gloss black finish which will hopfully have a mirror like finish when I'm done. I'll go through every process I do with pic's and descriptions so this will also be a tutorial in a way, so sit back enjoy!!

Got sanders???

5569Work%20log%201.jpg

Got sand paper???

5785Work%20log%202.jpg

Ok this is the 1.00@43 we'll call it "box B" This box is quit rough as you will see in following pics. It is the box you see in my sig, I did not like how my 1st paint job was so I scraped all the paint of with a plain. This casued some uglies which you will see shortly...

183Work%20log%203.jpg

This is just a shot of the box from a couple feet away, its ready to be sanded...

6955Work%20log%204.jpg

See how rough and ugly it looks, we'll be taking care of this with 60 grit paper

798work%20log%205.jpg

Hmmm look any better??? This is after an hour or so worth of sanding.

7967work%20log%206.jpg

Ok now to screw holes, the one on the left was from the original build, its good, the one on the right was just recently done, but not sanded yet...

784work%20log%207.jpg

The drill got away from me a little bit and the holes went deeper then planed, now worry, it is easly fixed...

9643work%20log%208.jpg

See all better, but it still needs finish sanding...

8982work%20log%209.jpg

Ok here is the box after 60-150-320 grit, you can't tell the differnce with pic's but you can deffently tell the difference by feel. Its as smooth as a babies bottom!

4238work%20log%2010.jpg

Ok now here is "box A" (1.09@29Hz) This is the 4th layer of paint which was sanded last night with 320grit. Notice how the box is almost totaly dull, this is very improtant for getting the next coat...

3027work%20log%2011.jpg

Another pic of how "dull" the color is, this is what you want to strive for when sanding between coats.

9528Work%20log%2012.jpg

This is the amp rack for "Box B" I will not be striping this like I did the box, I will simply paint over and sand it down. Yes its very dusty, Always make sure your surface is clean and clear of dust. If possible paint in another room then were you sand. I did not do this b/c I didn't want to wait for the 2nd room to heat up to painting temp.

8011work%20log%2013.jpg

Ok were now back to "box B" You see here the 1st layer of primer is on, the reason for the 2 colors is my one can of primer was acting up, so I switched over to another primer. This will not effect anything...

5051work%20log%2014.jpg

Another shot with primer, the edges will get more coats, and sanded more. I've found that if sanded fine enough, one does not need to put filler on the end grain of the wood.

8188work%20log%2015.jpg

This is what primer I am using....

6264work%20log%2016.jpg

Here is "box A" I stoped half way through to show you what a difference the paint makes...

7487work%20log%2017.jpg

You can somewhat see my hands reflection in this pic. I will probably do 2 more layers with some higher grip paper and then start the wet sanding...

2932work%20log%2018.jpg

Hopfully this will show you how and what steps need to be taken to get a nice mirror like finish with just spray paint. I hope to have good results with the wet sanding. It will be my first attempt at it so we'll see how it goes. If you have any questions, comments, ideas, tips, whatever. Let me know, I'm always open to other peoples opinions..

Jon

Incriminator Audio: No Chrome, No Carbon Fiber, No BS!! Period....

www.incriminatoraudio.com

Stereo Integrity: Your source for the finest Hi-fi speakers and speaker systems

www.stereointegrity.com

Sound Solutions Audio: Best darn click you'll ever make!

www.soundsolutionsaudio.com

***.gif

looks good..what are the boxes for???

The boxes were for a JL 8W7 which I have just traded.  That is why I am repainting them.  Hopfully I will be able to sell them once they are done.  The W7 was powered by and IA 20.1 (yes i know overkill but it loved the power)  Its soon to be replaced by a Atomic AP/SPL 12.  All of this will be going into a 03 F-150 Reg Cab.

Thanks for the comment!

Jon

www.stereointegrity.com

***.gif

Ok here is "box A" This was the 4-5 ( i forget now lol) layer of paint which dryed last night.  This pic is taked AFTER sanding with 600 grit paper.  This impressed me a lot!

user posted image

Another shot showing "box A" after 600 grit sanding, smooth as silk...

user posted image

This pics is taken half way through my 6th layer of paint.  As you can see it has a very fine finish to it!

user posted image

Just another shop of the paint...

user posted image

Ok here is "box A" fully painted.  The plywood you see in the reflections is the wall, 7 feet away!!

user posted image

You know I'm dead sexy in my hunters orange hat!!

user posted image

Here's a shot of my ghetto drying station.  That is "box B" in front, them my amp rack and them "box A" in the back

user posted image

This is "box B" with its 1st coat of black paint.

user posted image

Yet another shot of "box A" drying...

user posted image

All 3 projects, in same order as mentioned above...

user posted image

Just another shot of the 3...

user posted image

The 600 grit really suprised me!!  It makes an very visible difference when adding the next coat.  I will do 1 more layer on the rest of the box, hit that with 600 and then put my last layer on.  After that I will make my first try at wet sanding...

Jon

www.stereointegrity.com

***.gif

did you use all majic black spray paint and primer? can I get this at home depot. thanks. good job man, makes me want to do it to my box today :D.

Yup, I've used all the same paint and primer.  I would asume you could, I got it at a local Farm Supply shop so I'd assume HD has it.  Its a timly process.  One thing I do not like about the Majic Black is that it takes a LONG time to dry.  It will take you probably a week, if you want to have 6-7+ layers.  I guess if you had a seperate place to paint and dry, you might be able to go a bit faster.  I only have so much room so I have to plan my work between sanding and painting.  Getting dust on wet paint is being one of my most difficult problems to deal with so far...

Jon

www.stereointegrity.com

***.gif

Just got some 1500 Grit paper.  I'm hoping to have this finished sometime next week.  It all depends on how busy I am.  I'm hoping to find some 2000+ this weekend but if not, the 1500 should but a heck of a shine on it. 

Thanks for the comments so far guys!!!

Jon

www.stereointegrity.com

***.gif