Air Core Verse Iron Core Lowpass Coils

heh i like the good ol faithful 2 ch setups too. I have surroundsound but never use it, my rear speakers not even hooked up, they just mounted to the wall for looks... LOl

Im not hatin on them at all, Id just susprised you didnt go with a better driver.

I had some old solobarac 10s back in the day before all this l5 and l7 stuff and they where decent, but I liked my rf punch power dvc's way more :P

When building house speakers I guess 2 of the most important things I have to look at is the sensitivity and power handling of all the drivers that make up the cabinent.

The biggest problem I want to fight, is that I want to beable to use these without an external amp, so trying to make them perform with 100 to 150 watts is actually kinda hard with the products I use.

The pics of the speakers I have built can to this but they do sound sooooo much better when I put them on an amp that does 300 watts per channel.

(300x2@4ohm amp)

Just to clarifiy I use an old Harman Kardon 2 channel stereo reciever that is rated into a 4 ohm and 8 ohm loads. That is why I can get away with a 4 ohm woofer in my designs.

Now can someone help me with the $3,000 I need to get my Bryston 4B SST amp.

Edited by ISO

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Well it looks like the verdict is in. I shall be useing The P-Core design from Jantzen.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl....tNumber=255-106

I want to thank the people at Jantzen Audio for treating me with such great customer care. I highly recommend Jantzen for your crossover needs.

I did alittle research on them and didn't realize what an established company they are. They seem to have done buisness with some of the most respected names in audio. (I did not know that until long after I started useing them)

Micky if you still have advice for me, I'm all ears. I trust your opinion too.

Heres the conversation:

For ease of understanding I'm just going to link you to a thread at a forum I started.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=37274

I also wanted to know when I pick out a coil or a cap for a 6db slope do I use the nominal impedence of the component.

I hope you write back.

Thank you,

Jon S

Response:

Contact <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Jon,

Your question needs rather larger explanation and we can only answer theoretically without measurement of impedance in SPL.

We will advise you to compare the nominal impedance of the speakers with the sum of components then make a correction of impedance for low frequency speaker.

As to the coils, our advice is that in your case with 6dB slope, a non-ferrite cored coil is an excellent choice for low frequency speaker.

For mid-range air-cored coil is the right choice if you also have 6/6dB.

With best regards

Mrs. Iwona Jantzen

Jantzen Audio Denmark

voice +45 45 80 20 09

fax +45 45 80 20 32

Question:

Sendt: 2. februar 2009 15:38

Til: Contact

Emne: Re: Jon Stalter USA - Would you help me understand which coil I should use.

Thank you so much for your time. This is the 2nd set of speakers I have built with your products and I have enjoyed useing your products.

Thank you

I do want to clarify that you feel the P-core inductor would be the choice on my 12s.

Just want to make sure I read everything rite.

Thanks,

Jon S

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...FTOKEN=79736578

Answer:

Dear Jon,

I am very happy hearing you are glad for our products.

Yes, The coil from the PE link is non-ferrite coil made by Jantzen Audio.

Originally we made them for JBL professional, when they had their European production here in Denmark.

From the attachment you can see the list of our coils and some few other products.

For your information we also sell silver foil 16 AWG and copper foil (16,14,12 AWG) in meters for internal wiring.

If you need coil value outside PE standard range, I presume they could help you to order special values if you are willing to wait for their next shipment.

With best regards

Mrs. Iwona Jantzen

Jantzen Audio Denmark

voice +45 45 80 20 09

fax +45 45 80 20 32

End conversation.

Again I want to thank everyone for helping.

Edited by ISO

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png