3 Red Tops, Dimming Headlights

i'm tuned in once everybody gets back on topic.

i have 3 bats and two alts- solid voltage at the amp but my voltage needle still bounces with my turn signal and headlights have minor dimming, curious if anybody has any decent input.

-Drew

**also upgraded bats to fuse block hoping the boost efficiency to the cars stock electrical

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Headlights are an unregulated source so whether your voltage drops or not your lights are going to dim....get HIDs if you don't want your lights dimming....

Trust me....I hold a solid 14v-14.3v while driving and my interior lights dim slightly.....I have a 105amp alternator, stock 690cca battery and two stinger spv35s in the rear....all 1/0g ~180amps of current draw for the system alone.

edit: for spelling lol.

the dimming itself doesn't bother me a bit, it just worries me I am dipping period. with only 2 batteries and a lot more power being pushed I didnt have this problem. Now I have 3 (yeah, even more current draw) and I do. If my batteries are OK and I just need a HO alt and to do the big 3, then I am totally happy. If my batteries are goin on me, oh man....

IB3 22"

i'm tuned in once everybody gets back on topic.

i have 3 bats and two alts- solid voltage at the amp but my voltage needle still bounces with my turn signal and headlights have minor dimming, curious if anybody has any decent input.

-Drew

**also upgraded bats to fuse block hoping the boost efficiency to the cars stock electrical

3 bats 2 alts and u dim??? I'm guessing the blinker isn't a voltage drop or current draw, guessing its more interfierence or magbetic field or something

IB3 22"

my guess is that you don't have the ability to keep the batteries charged, a stock electrical will not sufficiently charge three batteries when you are drawing more current than the alt puts out. Take the batteries out and trickle charge them or put them on a battery conditioner to get them back to full potential then try it again, if the problem gets better then we have identified a charging problem if it doesn't we may have bad batteries or a series of other problems. An MLA module will make a difference since you have to overcome the internal resistance of several batteries just to charge them but a HO alt or two will be optimal.

My truck has a 200a alt, multiple Kinetik batteries and i still put it on the charger when i park it in the garage just to keep the batteries topped off. I have recently taken advantage of the Mechman sale on alts and purchased dual 250a alternators and MLA is going to build a Pro series module to control them. I'm pretty sure i have a higher current draw than you since my 4 compressors draw more than most full systems so it is overkill in your situation but it is a place to start.

IMO = Charge batteries, big 3, MLA module, HO alt. In that order and stop when the problem is solved.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

Is there a short somewhere? Your doing the big 3 in 1/0 right? i hope so

nope. only 4 guage. if thats not enough, too bad. I've had plenty of systems over the years, hence all the pics, and this one is a lot smaller than most of them and I have never even done the big 3.

I do not buy into the multiple strands of huge wire. it is bullshit. If I were rich and had all the time in the world, I would order 1000 feet, I'd use all gold plated connectors, and I would use gobbs of solder with my map gas torch... all to bring down a little resistence.

fact is, thats all bullshit. YES, it helps, yes if 2 exact same systems were side by side and 1 cut corners and one did every last detail, there would be a big difference. But fuck 0 guage. Never had it, probably never will. 4 guage is more than I need. I have a couple extra batteries and 1000 watts. that ain't shit.

BTW, I got 3 packs of 4 guage terminal rings the other day, more to come, they are plain copper ones from sturdevants... not pretty gold plated ones from stinger. on purpose

Edited by kryptonitewhite

IB3 22"