1. What does soldering actually do?

2. Is crimping extremely inferior to soldering?

3. Is it better to use the torch or the actual soldering gun?

thanks

soldering strengthens the connection to the point where its not coming undone on you.

crimping is not "extremely inferior" if you know what you are doing and not just trying to clamp the ring terminal to the wire.

you first should crimp the connection then solder it because that way you know the wire won't come undone.

if you use the technique that Steve shows on here where you let some drip through the bottom then it ensures that you have a connection between the copper in the wire and the contact surface of the ring terminal.

use a torch though because 1/0 will take some time to heat up and get a solid connection.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

1. What does soldering actually do?

2. Is crimping extremely inferior to soldering?

3. Is it better to use the torch or the actual soldering gun?

thanks

1. it bonds two pieces of metal together, usualy a wire to a metal terminal

2. not extremely, but yes it is inferior

3. soldering guns only work on smaller connections, torches are for larger ones...and plumbing if anyone cares to know :)

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

Google it for good iron soldering info.

But for torch soldering on heavier wiring check Steve's post on it. I think he made it a sticky somewhere.

Yes it's by far the best connection type due to it being a permanent connection of the wires and gives the least resistance when done correctly.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

1. it bonds two pieces of metal together, usualy a wire to a metal terminal

2. not extremely, but yes it is inferior

3. soldering guns only work on smaller connections, torches are for larger ones...and plumbing if anyone cares to know :)

yeah i bought a soldering gun, but i saw meades vids and he was using this big ass torch. so i was just wondering, cuz i am just getting 0 guage and i wanted to do them right, and tried soldering them with the gun and it clumped up and did not look like that video. so i was just wondering and i appriciate it, and so i should crimp and then solder right?

yeah i bought a soldering gun, but i saw meades vids and he was using this big ass torch. so i was just wondering, cuz i am just getting 0 guage and i wanted to do them right, and tried soldering them with the gun and it clumped up and did not look like that video. so i was just wondering and i appriciate it, and so i should crimp and then solder right?

yeah 1/0 is heavy stuff so the torch will supply it with the heat it needs.

and yeah crimp then solder if you can if not soldering is still better.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

for 0ga you're gonna need a torch, and if you're soldering it you don't need to crimp it since if done right the solder joint will be stronger than the wire, plus if you crimp it first less solder will make it into the joint

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."