Nightshade's Focus ZX3 build

UPDATE: The car is doing over a 150 now!!! I'm not going to release the actual number yet cause I have a few more things to tweek, but those that have heard it know exactly how violent that it is.

I'm hoping that I have a few videos to put up of it cause Sostl and myself took a few of them today. He's a member here on the forum as well as on ***. I met up with him today and he decided to take some of the ZX3 in action and was very impressed with it.

We even pissed off a few motorists by accident while sitting in traffic. If he uploads the videos tonight I'll make sure that they get posted on here.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

UPDATE: The car is doing over a 150 now!!! I'm not going to release the actual number yet cause I have a few more things to tweek, but those that have heard it know exactly how violent that it is.

I'm hoping that I have a few videos to put up of it cause Sostl and myself took a few of them today. He's a member here on the forum as well as on ***. I met up with him today and he decided to take some of the ZX3 in action and was very impressed with it.

We even pissed off a few motorists by accident while sitting in traffic. If he uploads the videos tonight I'll make sure that they get posted on here.

i've got a focus zx3 too.

just wondering, are you still using the stock 130 amp alternator?

Yes, I am still using the stock alt with no big 3 done to it. I do have 2 runs of 0 guage to the back of the car and I upgraded the ground up front to the frame, but I haven't run a larger wire to the alt yet. The car is brutal from 35-50hz. It really plays the lows well. It's funny that it's that loud at low frequencies too cause the resonant freq of the car is 51hz and mine is peaking anywhere from 40-42 right now. The flex is out of controll and the pressure is leaking everywhere and is part of why my score isn't higher. I'm working on trying to figure out how to keep more of the pressure in the car right now. On a burp the sunroof almost pops out of the roof :o Stuff is starting to break more than ever. I'd love to have more people to demo it for, but for now I'll just settle for listening to it myself.

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion

Very nicely done, zach :) Are you planning on coming up the 22nd?

Team Tupperware

<First dual-alternator 'real' Saturn (pre-2002) on the planet>
(3) 15" Fi SP4's fed by (2) M3a's strapped @ .667
12.75 cubes net @ 25Hz with 200 sq inches of port area (lowz...?)
Stock alt position (custom bracket) 225 amp Mechman

Roof = steel and fiberglass (u mad?)
(2) XS Power D3100's, (2) rhino batts, No battery upfront (for now, smh)
4 power+ 4 ground runs of 1/0-gauge to rear
"If its been done before...you're doing it wrong" : )

"stfu about scores and float $hit..."

Very nicely done, zach :) Are you planning on coming up the 22nd?

Thanks a bunch. Actually Doug I'm going to be in Ohio on the 20-22, but I won't have my car with me cause I can't fit my wife, dogs, and clothes and stuff in the car. We will be driving the wife's car so it's pointless to come to a show with it. I could bassrace in 129.9 with her car, but then I have to take all the stuff out and the dogs too and it would be a hassle. I'm planning on some of Greg's shows this year but I don't know when they'll be for sure. Maybe I'll be able to talk some of my teamates into coming along too.

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

what does your voltage drop to?

i know you've got a second battery in the trunk, but damn thats alot of amps to pull off of two batts and a stock alt.

what does your voltage drop to?

i know you've got a second battery in the trunk, but damn thats alot of amps to pull off of two batts and a stock alt.

On a full tilt burp it drops to 12.3 and on music I haven't seen it drop below 11.6, I don't know if you went back and read but I did replace the battery up front with a Deka Group 34 so I've got 2 pretty big batteries in the car. The lights still dim at full tilt at night but that's cause I don't have a ho alt or a ton of batteries. When I get an alt on the car I'm sure that the dimming will stop.

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

On a full tilt burp it drops to 12.3 and on music I haven't seen it drop below 11.6, I don't know if you went back and read but I did replace the battery up front with a Deka Group 34 so I've got 2 pretty big batteries in the car. The lights still dim at full tilt at night but that's cause I don't have a ho alt or a ton of batteries. When I get an alt on the car I'm sure that the dimming will stop.

what kind of alt are you gonna go with?

i was looking at getting a mechman 250 amp.

before i do that though i'm gonna put a battery in the driver side trunk fender. it's a decent size area right behind the tub.

gotta measure and see what the biggest i can fit it. how much did the extra battery help you out?

oh and how many volts do you have at idle? i've only got 13.9 even at highway speed, i did the big three and it didn't go up at all, pretty sure its just a worn out alt.

sorry bout all the questions, you're just the first person with a focus that is pulling more of an amp draw then me so you're stuck with my questions. :clapping:

what kind of alt are you gonna go with?

i was looking at getting a mechman 250 amp.

before i do that though i'm gonna put a battery in the driver side trunk fender. it's a decent size area right behind the tub.

gotta measure and see what the biggest i can fit it. how much did the extra battery help you out?

oh and how many volts do you have at idle? i've only got 13.9 even at highway speed, i did the big three and it didn't go up at all, pretty sure its just a worn out alt.

sorry bout all the questions, you're just the first person with a focus that is pulling more of an amp draw then me so you're stuck with my questions. :clapping:

I'm actually looking at getting an Interlinc alt from the guys at Db Linc Designs. If that doesn't work out then I've already talked to Mike at Mechman about one from there.

While I don't know exactly for sure; but I will test for you; the D3100 has probably helped in the .8-1.3 db range. Make sure you get a beast of a battery for the rear. You can do a box that is still 31.5" wide with a D3100 in the back like I did, and is big enough for 2 15's.

My idle voltage is anywhere from 14.1-15.2 depending on how cold it is outside. The colder the better. When I set the NSPL world record last weekend it was 32 or so out and my voltage was 15.18 when I was sitting ready to go through the lanes. Yesterday when Sostl and I were messing around the voltage was hovering at 14.1-14.2 and it was 75 degrees outside. I've never measured the voltage while driving down the highway, but again I will to answer your question.

Also I thought that the stock alt in the ZX3 was a 120 amp unit?

Too bad you weren't closer to NC, cause I'd love to help you get your ZX3 loud. Since I have some pretty decent experience doing it I'm sure that we could easily do 148's in your car after some upgrades. If you need any info at all please don't hesitate to pm me and I'll tell you what I know. What are you thinking about going with in your car as far as subs, amps, and electrical?

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

Archived