Second Skin Audio

4 Kicker L7's Enclosure Recommendations

dlheights

I am planning a build for 4 12" Kicker L7's to go into a 2003 Trailblazer and wanted to know if anyone has some good box designs for them. I'd like as much detail on sizes and internal port info as possible. I will get measurments of the suv as soon as I can. It's way too cold for me to be out there in sub zero temperatures (<-litterally) measuring. I'd like to get around 3-3.5 ^3ft of space if available. It will be daily driving, and a few comps and I'm not worried about SQ as much as SPL. BTW dlheights = newb box builder, but gonna try ;D. I'm also planning on doing a lot of fiberglass research if anyone has a good thread for me to read up on. Thanks in advance for the info.

3.5 cu ft is waaay too small for 4 l7s.  One 10L5 needs at least 2.  So you're looking at at least 10 cu ft for those subs. Unless you want it sealed.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

3-3.5 per sub, sorry for not clairifying, lol. I was thinking 12-14 cubes, but dont know what i should do for a design and how to measure port size, most people I know use small ports (about 1" going across the entire box on the bottom). I am going to have them each in their own chamber as well. How far back should I go on the port wall. I really don't know how to word this so Ill draw a lil pic...

___________        ___________

|  __  |  __  |      |        |        |

|    |  | |    | or  |    |  |  |    |

|    |  | |    |    |    |  |  |    |

-[=]-    -[=]-      -[=]-      -[=]- 

(thats basically what I'm tryin to say, I hope you understand that, should I make turns in it or just go back?) p.s. the pic is only two i know but i didnt feel like makin it for 4....

3-3.5 per sub, sorry for not clairifying, lol. I was thinking 12-14 cubes, but dont know what i should do for a design and how to measure port size, most people I know use small ports ([glow=red,2,300]about 1"  going across the entire box on the bottom[/glow]). I am going to have them each in their own chamber as well. How far back should I go on the port wall. I really don't know how to word this so Ill draw a lil pic...

___________        ___________

|  __  |  __  |      |        |        |

|    |  | |     | or  |    |  |  |     |

|    |  | |     |     |     |  |  |     |

-[=]-    -[=]-      -[=]-      -[=]-   

(thats basically what I'm tryin to say, I hope you understand that, should I make turns in it or just go back?) p.s. the pic is only two i know but i didnt feel like makin it for 4....

The normal rule of thumb is to try to stick with an 8:1 ratio of width and length.  So basically with a port that skinny and long, it'll get a lot of port noise.  In theory, the more square you can get it the better.  Your port length is dependent on the port area (and other things), so I couldnt really tell you.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

Archived