Sonic Electronix

I was told this years ago, and since there's not that much beating a 150 around here, I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. So the n00b question is....

I was told that once you hit 150 db, it takes at least 1000 watts of power to go up one decibal from there, is this true?

gickrcom_2a29f39d-4cc8-e414-f543-2.gif

www.mypsace.com/ineedagirl2006

it is exponential- the higher you are the harder it is to get higher.

150+ is when your working for tenths of a db

-Drew

is there a general math formula to plug in to find each full decibal? I know it gets down to trying to gain by the tenth when the numbers are that high, but I'm just curious if this guy is right or not.

He is mostly true- at some point every car will take 1kw to gain 1db

if its a rex it may be higher db than a trunk, every car is different and there is no perfect formula. if your getting to 150 on 1kw then going to 2kw may get you a full db or more, but if your using 8kw to get to 150 then 9kw will only be a fraction of a db (generally, like i said nothing is concrete every car/truck is different)

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

He is mostly true- at some point every car will take 1kw to gain 1db

if its a rex it may be higher db than a trunk, every car is different and there is no perfect formula. if your getting to 150 on 1kw then going to 2kw may get you a full db or more, but if your using 8kw to get to 150 then 9kw will only be a fraction of a db (generally, like i said nothing is concrete every car/truck is different)

-Drew

right on. Thanks for the help man! It'll be in a Expedition, so I'm sure it'll take a lot to get to 150....oh well.

yeah i was thinking more when i was out doing lawn work just now-

If he means that it is true 100% of the time he is wrong.

but, its not impossible given the right circumstances.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

normal rule of thumb is a 3db increase when you double power, but thats in a perfect world

Dodge Magnum with custom 300c front end, laid out on air bags

*4) 12" Cadence Daytona walled

*1) AudioQue 20k

*270a DC Power Alt (Dual coming soon)

I dont think it's that hard to achieve good numbers providing your box is built right, you have enough power and enough juice to supply the power. My friend is hitting almost 147 on stock electrical with a T3000.1 and 4 12" pioneer 400rms subs in a ported box in his expedition.

No matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere, is sick of her shit.

99 Tahoe:

2-10" MA Audio

4-6.5" Kenwood door speakers

Total Amp

Sony HU

I dont think it's that hard to achieve good numbers providing your box is built right, you have enough power and enough juice to supply the power. My friend is hitting almost 147 on stock electrical with a T3000.1 and 4 12" pioneer 400rms subs in a ported box in his expedition.

is it walled or behind the backseat?