Sundown Audio

Amp Load Question

slugdub

Why not just go with a mono block? Alot of multichannels wont be bridgeable as they are more geared for component speakers and such.

Well I have the two speakers to power. I know they are not going to blow out at 200 RMS or less, so I want whatever is going to give me clean easy power up to that point.

The part I'm really noobing out about is "how do I know if hooking up two subs to a mono amp is going to be stable." If I could figure that out, I'd probably be fine.

images-1.jpg

Again, I'm just sticking with what I know (and what's on sale) which isn't much.

I know 2 channel. Right now I'm deciding on the Kenwood Kac-7204, the Kenwood KAC-7203 (both 2 channel) or this MTX Terminator deal (its going to be sooo cheap).

I have absolutely no clue how to hook up a mono amp to these two subs (without it being overloaded somehow).

images-1.jpg

You know what's safe to bridge to a mono block by calculating your ohm loads of the speakers.

Running two 4 ohm subs bridged on a mono block will present the amp with a 2 ohm load. Find an amp that puts out twice as much as the rms of one sub, because (two 100rms subs bridged need 200rms, 100w for each sub, get it?) also make sure the amp is stable at that ohm load.

Now if you've got dual voice coil subs it's a little different just a few more wiring options.

Post up what you have let us help you do it right the first time and not just the cheap work around way.

I would not do any of those 3 amps you are looking at for the pure fact you're probably going to pay more for a multiple channel amp for a less powerful amp in the end. Take the time to learn about what you're doing and do it right.

That alpine in the original post looks like a great amp so let me explain what it'll do for you and you can see if that's what your looking for.

It's stable at 2 ohm. Which means if you bridge two 4ohm subs to it, it will be perfect for them.

At 2 ohms it gives out 500 watts. That's 250 watts for each sub RMS.

Now are your subs going to be fine with 250 watts RMS?

If all that sounds good then that alpine is your amp, get it and quit making it more complicated than it should be.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Yeah, thanks. The window closed on the alpine and I am kicking myself. I actually canceled the bid on one for super cheap like 2-3 weeks ago.

Now there is no going back, I fell in love with this Infinity 611a and it should be here any day now.

I have figured out all the ohm load configurations I can use, and its no longer confusing, but damn those dual coils because they give me such less power because there is no way to hook up dual coils @ 2 ohms.

I'm going to hook up my old speakers at 2 and hope they don't pop. I'm either getting too much power to the old ones or not enough for the new speakers I want. Sucks.

images-1.jpg

Wait, nevermind. I figured it out. If I buy the 2ohm CVR12 I see I can obtain 2 ohm safely.

Yep.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

so 2 kicker CVRs how many watts is that amp u got? the CVRs sound damn good at 2ohm..

1996 Ford Taurus

----------------------------

2 yellow tops

1/0 gauge wire

800amp batcap

4gauge to amp

1 MCD Memphis 1100

3 kicker L7 10s (4)ohm droped

Pioneer 6*8s

jenson 200watt amp

yea i had 4 CVRs running on 2 punch 250watts amps..i wanna say they was at 4 ohms been so long i cant remember ..but i traded all of them and the amps for 2 CVRs 15s and a kicker 600.1 they was 2ohm but i only had that for a few weeks till i went to the L7s.. CVRs sound really good tho..

1996 Ford Taurus

----------------------------

2 yellow tops

1/0 gauge wire

800amp batcap

4gauge to amp

1 MCD Memphis 1100

3 kicker L7 10s (4)ohm droped

Pioneer 6*8s

jenson 200watt amp