Second Skin Audio

Poly Fill Or Sounddampining Or Nothing In Ported Boxes.

What do you use in your ported enclosures?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Materials for ported enclosures.

• No material at all.Fully empty.
    • Pollyfill
    • Materials that adheire to the walls only

why sealed for daily use?

Some people would rather have a sealed design. I do, because it gives me a lot more range of what I can get good bass results with whatever music I'm playing.

With a ported you're going to have a lower range at which your bass is going to perform at a peak, however it will be a pretty drastic rolloff after that peak.

With a sealed you have a more wider range of where the bass will perform good. It won't peak as much as a ported at a given frequency range, but will still be a good overall response.

That being said it comes down to the music style. Rap and such is typically a lower fq of bass, and metal and rock has a higher fq of bass. Use the rules of how each type of enclosure works and one can decide which enclosure will do best for their situation.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

By the way I voted nothing at all in a ported, because like I said above usually when you're going with a ported design it's just more reliable to get the volume and specs perfect for the sub and fq response from the get go of the build.

userbar651078zu3.gif

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Some people would rather have a sealed design. I do, because it gives me a lot more range of what I can get good bass results with whatever music I'm playing.

With a ported you're going to have a lower range at which your bass is going to perform at a peak, however it will be a pretty drastic rolloff after that peak.

With a sealed you have a more wider range of where the bass will perform good. It won't peak as much as a ported at a given frequency range, but will still be a good overall response.

That being said it comes down to the music style. Rap and such is typically a lower fq of bass, and metal and rock has a higher fq of bass. Use the rules of how each type of enclosure works and one can decide which enclosure will do best for their situation.

LOL thanks for explaing that because I'm not in the mood to do abunch of typeing. LOL LAZY. and also thats were my punch bass comes in most handy is with a sealed enclosure verse ported enclosure. ( I know why to lazy to type an explantion. LOL

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

damn thanks for all that info

i thought that it was always ported>sealed but after reading what both of you have said i might change my mind

i dont listen to anything but rap so maybe sealed is right for me

thanks for the info!

Now don't get us wrong a ported enclosure is going to be a hell of alot louder than a sealed enclosure with all components the same.

For rap ported can be cool but it won't play as low as a sealed enclosure.

Did I say I like Sub-Sonics already. mmmmmmmmmmm 20 hertz. :D

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

15in-Venom-SPL.gif

Here's the best chart I could find on the subject. This is the SPL chart.

Nevermind the grey line, It was something else the guy was doing.

But the Red is your sealed, and green your ported. Notice the sealed response is a lot smoother, while the ported has a drastic slope where it's peaking up to it's tuned fq.

Here's a cone excursion chart.

15in-Venom-excursion.gif

Notice with the ported the sub is doing most of all it's work at it's tuned range, and after that it drops bigtime, and with the sealed, the sub is again moving at a more smoother slope.

When a person is deciding on what they want in their car it all comes down to how much room do you have to work with in an enclosure (because if you don't have the room, you don't go ported obviously. That's another advantage of sealed is you can get the correct response with smaller volume/to get the correct response with a ported, the sub will almost always specify for a larger volume) and the other factor is what will you be listening to, and at what volume. So again, it goes back to the age old question which is better ported or sealed, and you'll have so many people who don't do their homework say "oh sealed is louder" Or, "no ported is louder"

Now whenever you have someone tell you that ask them "why?" see if they don't respond with an answer based on "well my best friend's homeboy has the loudest ride you'll ever hear and he's running (sealed/ported) and he say's it's best and he knows his stuff"

If you do your homework, you'll be able to tell them to STFU and go back to smoking crack. :dry:

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

LOL and looking at your first chart and the drop off of the sealed woofer is abit high.

I have a set older 12 inch sealed box only woofers that shouldn't start to drop off untill they get down to 21 hertz.MMMMMMMMMM

Terryswork001.png

Number 1: I have a weird thing for sub-sonics. 10 hertz to 20 hertz can be kinda neat.

Number 2: is I'm still old school with old fashion beliefes and feel when building a sound quaility vehicle a sealed enclosure is the best way to go.

Now we have companies like FI,DC,DD and hell even my original Kicker L7s are subwoofers that have either excellent SQ or from what I have read have excellent SQ in ported enclosures.

And If I run DC I will have to use ported encloses, but I think my next subs are going to be 4 10 inch Kicker SOLO Classics once the price evens out on Ebay.

I put a word out to a man about an 18 but I don't know if I'll hear back from him.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy...-effects-2.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....4047&page=3

IB3 22"

LOL and looking at your first chart and the drop off of the sealed woofer is abit high.

I have a set older 12 inch sealed box only woofers that shouldn't start to drop off untill they get down to 21 hertz.MMMMMMMMMM

Yeah I know, but that was the best chart I could find. :(

Good thread man.

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Yeah I know, but that was the best chart I could find. :(

Good thread man.

LOL thanks.

Like it says I'm just curious about how others feel, but alot of people have looked at it and there has not been many responses.

Terryswork001.png