LulzChicken Posted March 16, 2009 Report Posted March 16, 2009 Hey guys, I had a pair of 12" and one day I jumped in my car to listen to some music and it wasn't hitting hard and it sounded different. So, I go to the back of the car and the right speaker (I have two 12") was definitely crackling and moving a bunch more than the right one past a certain volume level. So, Crutchfield as the awesome people they are sent me a new pair of the 12". I put these in and the problem is solved, but I wonder if if the breaking of the old subs had something to do with me breaking them in? What could have caused this? I do not want to break these again. Thanks for any help.. Also, I think this may of happened by playing the subs loud at a cold temperature. Any help/tips/information is greatly appreciated guys! If you need any info, here is my setup: Subs: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB1222/Pol...222+&tp=112 Amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R1600A/Inf...?tp=115&s=0 Receiver: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEHP4UB/Pi...UB.html?tp=5684 Amp Wires: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142PA41/EFX-4...it.html?tp=2919 Speaker Wire: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211UCT12/Stre...re.html?tp=2917 Thanks for any help!
tacomabanga1986 Posted March 16, 2009 Report Posted March 16, 2009 polk db ftw, those sound best off a kicker 750.1 really, i heard it at circuit city n was like "damn those are soundin sweet", i got polk db mids n highs in my geo and they sound sick off midbass, i might pick up one of those polk boxs and sell my 5500 15's, but ya subs do need time to "break in" and the cold weather can affect some subs caricturestics(sp) edit: well i take that back, i dont think i will pay almost $500 for 2 12's ina prefab lol, but more power to you and they do sound good tho here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit
LulzChicken Posted March 16, 2009 Author Report Posted March 16, 2009 polk db ftw, those sound best off a kicker 750.1 really, i heard it at circuit city n was like "damn those are soundin sweet", i got polk db mids n highs in my geo and they sound sick off midbass, i might pick up one of those polk boxs and sell my 5500 15's, but ya subs do need time to "break in" and the cold weather can affect some subs caricturestics(sp)edit: well i take that back, i dont think i will pay almost $500 for 2 12's ina prefab lol, but more power to you and they do sound good tho Ahh well, I don't have the money to get another amp to replace my Infinity. The thing sounds great and kicks hard so I'm impressed for these 12". You said you might pick up a box like this and sell your 15"s? Why? Do these out-preform some 15's?
LulzChicken Posted March 16, 2009 Author Report Posted March 16, 2009 Sorry for the bump... but say if I jump in my car, and start listening to the subs loudly without "warming" them up.. Will this damage them in the long run? I'm just trying to be cautious before I mess this pair up due to a user error.
Kapetol T Posted March 17, 2009 Report Posted March 17, 2009 Sorry for the bump... but say if I jump in my car, and start listening to the subs loudly without "warming" them up.. Will this damage them in the long run? I'm just trying to be cautious before I mess this pair up due to a user error. Unless you mean a literal warming up it shouldn't damage your speakers
Boon Posted March 17, 2009 Report Posted March 17, 2009 You were probably clipping it, you don't really have enough power to just outright kill those subs. Break-in is more of an SQ thing, it's just to do with the suspension of the woofer loosening up a little over time. I don't bother much with it, especially in SPL stuff - guys at World Finals glue new recones like 20 minutes before they run and wang them at 10kw+ lol... 10.x volts fo' life!
fritosaregood Posted March 17, 2009 Report Posted March 17, 2009 second on the clipping how did you adjust the gain knob. did you just turn it all the way up? seller feedback: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=61719 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=68281 build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/index.php?showtopic=44800 Gf's build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/54346-kickergirls-camaro-new-box-pg-5/#entry753970
slugdub Posted March 17, 2009 Report Posted March 17, 2009 I thought breaking in was to prevent damage, but I've only read that on the L7 review(s), now that I think of it.
Sable Nave Posted March 18, 2009 Report Posted March 18, 2009 I always break in my speakers, but its one of those topics that people are split over. Most say you should, some say don't. And BTW, its not just on L7's Car 1996 Sable LS 8,000K Bi-Xenon HID's Pioneer Premier DEX-P1R Diamond Audio D351, Diamond Audio D362i, Diamond D3TAK off Kicker ZX200.4 Custom 15" 13w7 motor, 3.5" aluminum coils dual 1 ohm off NV-AM25001 Dynamat Dynaliner Second Skin Damplifier Pro Stock 130A Alternator My Build Truck 1995 Ford F-150 Flareside XLT 10,000K Bi-Xenon HID's, 15,000K Bi-Xenon HID's Kicker KS6502, KS400 off Pioneer Premier PRS-D4100F Truck Build Ref(s) Rogers, Jared, Mikesmith0890, Twigz, DHFHades, BASS14, Solo_X18, mrafrica, camino_1to3, kickerassman [speakerman9000] 5:43 pm: if sony sucks so bad how come my amps still work when i had 3 12s on it [capalass23] 11:27 pm: wow u grand man poopin out babys like hto cakes [KevinniveK] can u have sex later please hes helping me
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.