Second Skin Audio

Wait, So Enclosure Type & Size Affects Max Watts?

Well I'm just weirded out by the whole fact it says these speakers handle 400 watts RMS.... then its actually only 400 watts RMS if its in a compact sealed box.

I mean, I'm going to be feeding them OVER what the manual says for a ported box.

images-1.jpg

Does this mean I should go sealed?
actually, to answer the question in the title, its yes, not no.

this is the only question i see in the o.p..... i dont see why he should go sealed?

what makes you say that?

Matt W.

1996 Thunderbird LX Sport 4.6

new system soon...still deciding on what to get.

this is the only question i see in the o.p..... i dont see why he should go sealed?

what makes you say that?

hes talking about the title, box affects wattage. A large box allows the sub to move easier, therefore on the same amount of wattage as in a small box the sub literally can and will have more excursion therefore possibly reaching its mechanical limits depending on the amount of power the subs can handle and what you're running to them. I think i am correct on this, let me know if im not guys, a ported box in general has less sub control over a sealed box in the first place. So yes if your box is too big and you run the manufacturer rated RMS to your subs they could possibly shit out on you.

Well I'm just weirded out by the whole fact it says these speakers handle 400 watts RMS.... then its actually only 400 watts RMS if its in a compact sealed box.

I mean, I'm going to be feeding them OVER what the manual says for a ported box.

a sealed box gives the subs more control and limits excursion which increases power handling. a larger ported box will give more output with less watts because the speaker is allowed to move. but just be careful and bump responsibly

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=29213 "sleeper build"

(1) DC AUDIO Level4XL 10

(2) PowermasterD2700 batteries

ALL FOR SALE

TEAM DC AUDIO

TEAM DIRTFLOORPOOR

hes talking about the title, box affects wattage. A large box allows the sub to move easier, therefore on the same amount of wattage as in a small box the sub literally can and will have more excursion therefore possibly reaching its mechanical limits depending on the amount of power the subs can handle and what you're running to them. I think i am correct on this, let me know if im not guys, a ported box in general has less sub control over a sealed box in the first place. So yes if your box is too big and you run the manufacturer rated RMS to your subs they could possibly shit out on you.

but the box doesnt affect the wattage....the wattage the subs will be getting would determine how big/small you should make your box(ported) i have no clue about sealed.

and i dont agree with your last sentence at all really....say i get a a Fi BTL 12 running 2500 rms in a 3.0 cubic foot box, they would take a shit on me in that box? i dont think so...but hey :pardon:

Matt W.

a sealed box gives the subs more control and limits excursion which increases power handling. a larger ported box will give more output with less watts because the speaker is allowed to move. but just be careful and bump responsibly

what he said

Matt W.

Well, I'm sure I can do some prorating here. If a 1 cu/ft box means it can handle the max of 400w RMS and a 4.6 cu/ft only should be ran @ 300... I should go ahead and find me a 3 cu ft (that would be double for two speakers, so 6 right?) and my 328.5 watts of true power should be fine!

I don't suppose I can just seal up my ports on my existing one? LOL

images-1.jpg

Well, I'm sure I can do some prorating here. If a 1 cu/ft box means it can handle the max of 400w RMS and a 4.6 cu/ft only should be ran @ 300...

yes but no...thats not always true.

Matt W.