Second Skin Audio

Good Tuning Frequency

For most music a 38Hz tune works pretty well for my ears. Most of the rap music is in the low 40s, with few exceptions in the upper 30s and very little content in the mid-low 30s.

Sould Survivor or the low note in White Girl for example have a pretty gnarly low 32Hz bassline while Prime Minister on the other hand as well as most Lil Jon songs are in the 40s.

You'll just have to build something and experiment. To be pretty safe I would tune at 34 but you'll sacrifice a bit of SPL most likely.

Edited by creyc

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

32-34 is a safe bet, when you tune higher (like 38/40/42) you gain the potential to be louder, at the expense of playing lower (more fun IMO) notes, and usually ends up being peakier.

tuning super low, like 28 hz, gives you a very flat(within reason) relatively quiet box, with the ability to play any note you will find in music without a problem, but you do lose out on loudness.

there's always exceptions, try your 33/34 design and change it if it turns out you really dont like it. I personally kind of like my 43hz tuning, but some other car's i've heard tuned that high sounded like garbage.

edit: your tuning point isnt necessarily where it is loudest, it is technically the lowest frequency you can go before the subwoofer is no longer loaded by the air in the enclosure/port

so tuning lower will make the lower notes louder in camparison, but really it because a higgher tuned box can't play them well (or at all), but even if one box is 30 hz and the other is 40, they both can play 50 the same theoretically

Edited by raytard

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

im at around 33 probably 34 with some supports i didnt account for.

it goes low and does the upper hz good.

next time i build i box im tuning to 30hz

Tibs 99 F-150 Build 8 twelves

8 - Re SE 12"s

2 - SunDown Audio Saz-3000d's

1 - vx4004 planet audio amp

big 3 1/0 gauge

MECHMAN 250 amp alt

MySpace

edit: your tuning point isnt necessarily where it is loudest, it is technically the lowest frequency you can go before the subwoofer is no longer loaded by the air in the enclosure/port

yea it will peak higher like at 40hz or something right?

what do you mean no longer loaded by the air in the enclosure/port

so tuning lower will make the lower notes louder in camparison, but really it because a higgher tuned box can't play them well (or at all), but even if one box is 30 hz and the other is 40, they both can play 50 the same theoretically

Disagree.. Ported boxes have peaks at which they have the most output and thats generally your tuning frequency. So a 30Hz and 40Hz tuning point will not play 50Hz note at the same volume as the other one due to the curve.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

Disagree.. Ported boxes have peaks at which they have the most output and thats generally your tuning frequency. So a 30Hz and 40Hz tuning point will not play 50Hz note at the same volume as the other one due to the curve.

so your saying that tuned to 40 will be louder at 50 then if it were tuned to 30?

sorry if that didnt make scence

so your saying that tuned to 40 will be louder at 50 then if it were tuned to 30?

sorry if that didnt make scence

essentially yes

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

alright

thanks for the help so far everybody

but what would be the best balance between lows and loudness

Dude, you have asked the same thing multiple times already. Numerous people have given you answers. anywhere in the range from 32-36 is ideal for you. Any of those is fine for a nice balanced daily tuning.