a few years ago me and my dad built an 87 s-10 for street/strip and it was a nasty lil ride but i always hated the warm up on it since it was carburated.and now i have a 98 sonoma 2.2 and i wanna do a v8 swap.but i dont really have the funds to do fuel injected and its a real easy swap i've done one before and have plenty of people to help.but i dont know to much about the whole carburator thing.its my daily driver so i dont wanna have to start it 10 minutes before i go somewhere everytime.anybody got any suggestions?does electric choke help at all?

1998 gmc sierra

h/u:eclipse cd3200

sub:dd9518g d1.5

amp:jl e300/4

sub amp:dd m2a

front stage:id ctx65cs

dc power 270 alt

lots of kicker 1/0

A properly set up mechanical choke works well, but the electric ones do work better. $$ more though-

The easiest way to warm up the carb is to have a hose that runs from your exhaust manifold to your air filter holder. They sell them at all of the auto stores. Most if not all older GMs had this. It pulls just enough warmth from the manifold to warm up the carb. Once the inlet air in that hose reaches a certain temp, a coil moves a louver shut, blocking most of the warm air. Go to a junk yard and look for an air cleaner assembly for your v8 that will fit under the hood and look for one with the warm air inlet. Golden.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

just get a carb with a working electric choke.

shouldnt take more than 5 minutes to get it going unless its cold as hell outside.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

Shouldn't take more than a minute to properly warm it up. If it runs with a cold carb, the choke will keep the engine running by constricting the air and dumping gas. So, it will run- but poorly and suck gas like crazy. The colder a carb and motor is, the more gas it needs to run. Relying on a choke to run on is treating for the symptom and not to cure. You still need to get everything to a proper operating temperature faster.

What temp thermostat were you / will you be running? A thermostat that is too cold will make it harder to warm up, by opening too soon.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I have an '83 camaro with a carb setup.. motor is an '86.. i can go outside fire my car up and go.. never have a problem unless its really cold outside then it takes about a minute.

I'd hit that so fucking hard whoever pulled me out would be King of England.

Lol... looks like we were on the same page. Car-B-Ques suck.

ya, tires and paint burning make the marshmallows taste funny.

a few years ago me and my dad built an 87 s-10 for street/strip and it was a nasty lil ride but i always hated the warm up on it since it was carburated.and now i have a 98 sonoma 2.2 and i wanna do a v8 swap.but i dont really have the funds to do fuel injected and its a real easy swap i've done one before and have plenty of people to help.but i dont know to much about the whole carburator thing.its my daily driver so i dont wanna have to start it 10 minutes before i go somewhere everytime.anybody got any suggestions?does electric choke help at all?

What exactly is your issue? Stalling, etc....

Edit: A properly working electric choke work awesome along with an electric fan. A manual choke works fine too. What kind of intake do you have single or dual plane? Do you have a carb spacer?

Edited by banginAltima

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs