Astro Build - 12 Cerwin-Vega 12"s in a Clamshell C-Pillar Wall

That old White JBL gear has always had a special place in my heart! A buddy of mine had a bunch of those amps and crossovers etc in his blazer! It was bad ass! Would love to find some of that in good condition and do a build with it!

There are a good number of the matching amps on eBay right now. For as big as they are, they put out not a whole lot of wattage- A 4 channel that is 18.5 rms per channel- and it is pretty decent size. But- they are gorgeous. And that is rated at 12 volts. And that is underrated. PLUS they sound awesome. :D

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

That old White JBL gear has always had a special place in my heart! A buddy of mine had a bunch of those amps and crossovers etc in his blazer! It was bad ass! Would love to find some of that in good condition and do a build with it!

There are a good number of the matching amps on eBay right now. For as big as they are, they put out not a whole lot of wattage- A 4 channel that is 18.5 rms per channel- and it is pretty decent size. But- they are gorgeous. And that is rated at 12 volts. And that is underrated. PLUS they sound awesome. :D

Yea that 18 watt channel probably sounds great and is probably closer to 100 watts if you were to actually clamp it. Sometimes the older stuff is better. IF I had the money I would go old school 'cause they don't make em like they used to.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

Yea that 18 watt channel probably sounds great and is probably closer to 100 watts if you were to actually clamp it. Sometimes the older stuff is better. IF I had the money I would go old school 'cause they don't make em like they used to.

Exactly good sir. :D

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I re-wired some things with some new ...er, old crossovers. :D 4 crossovers do the McIntosh silk dome tweeters and JBL GTi Mids on each corner, and 2 of them do the MTX silk dome tweeters up front. I kind of had to do this because one of my amps had an "anomaly" so to speak. It decided to have a wicked amount of noise, so I just pulled the wires and re-wired everything. The good part (if there is one) is that now I got to use these crossovers, and the 8"s in each front door moved to a different amp- they each get 200 wRMS each now instead of the 100 or so they were getting. It woke them up.

425509_3560348345672_730555584_n.jpg

163343_3560348185668_377004182_n.jpg

^ no pictures of the wires or wiring... because that part is boring and sucks.

I did get a bit done on the JBL GTP4 Imaging Enhancer:

Got a bit of wood

407228_3560373546302_1896386557_n.jpg

Marked it off and cut it with the Roto-Zip (I love that tool)

75505_3560374506326_202130281_n.jpg

Angle cut a ragged bit of 2x4

66769_3560373786308_1924236773_n.jpg

And screwed everything together and put it in place

416970_3560373866310_1319246415_n.jpg

From the side

392995_3560374066315_624514700_n.jpg

Argh! She be a close fit!!

312580_3560374466325_668146179_n.jpg

And with the back door closed

540248_3560374666330_1468541109_n.jpg

I still have to run the RCAs, hook up power, run the wire for the remote, and mount the remote. And I will be honest- I don't like the way it looks up there. Like- at all. I might pull it back down and change that angle a bit. Also- I know it is all ragged up top with wires everywhere. I do have plans to make a fiberglass panel to cover things up. ...I realize I have been meaning to do that for several years- but this time I mean it. lol

Thanks for looking guys- I hope to get things going soon to see how this Antique does. It is quite crazy right now with Christmas, Christmas Parties, and Call of Duty: Black Ops taking up my time. haha

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Looks awesome Brother !!!! Can't wait to hear the difference !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Looks awesome Brother !!!! Can't wait to hear the difference !!!

Thanks Randal. :D

Just got it installed and hooked up. HOLY CRAP. :shok: Ok- I had hoped the processor would be cool but feared it would be comical- like super echo or something. This thing is wicked. If you ever see one, I highly recommend snatching it up. The processor has two knobs, one for front ambiance and one for rear ambiance (think of the front as width and the rear as depth). These two knobs also double as switches- they can be pulled out to do additional stuff- the front knob is a defeat or on/off for the whole processor and the rear focuses the image either for the driver or for everyone.

This thing works! And well! Turn the front ambiance knob and the whole stage actually gets wider. Turn the rear ambiance knob and there is added depth- and not just "oh hey- rear fill" kind of depth- I mean actual depth. I played Down to the Waterline by Dire Straights- Mark Knopfler's guitar intro NEVER sounded like that in my van. I can't explain it. Victim of Love by the Eagles sounded different too- And I realized why- this processor, for the lack of a better word, Isolates each channel from each other while creating a phantom center channel. So- the guitar intro in Victim of Love is mainly on the Left Channel with some on the Right along with some echo. With the processor disabled, when I moved the balance back and forth, the channels sounded different, but not THAT different. With the processor enabled- it is night and day. The rear channels work similarly to the front.

As ever, Gains All have to be adjusted again- from the eqs all the way down to the amps. Once that is done we will really see what is up.

Randal, I've got to get this thing finished up so I can meet up with you again. I want to see all of your work on your truck!

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You say you want to do the fiberglass panel but we all know you're not going to do it due to the fact thatyou will find some more cool old school equipment and install them. Then you will have to redo everything yet again. Lol. Looking nice though. Wish I lived closer to great this tint.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

^ You are most likely correct Blue. haha! That's the exact reason why I haven't done it yet. Well- that and I'm LAZY!

http://youtu.be/e7buCwp2J8E

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool build man, I'd like to check this thing out if you take it to Scrapin the coast this year

My Build Thread 2005 F150 : 2005 F150 Center Console Build

Center Console - 3.2 cubes @ 35hz

4 RE Audio SRX10s - Pure Audio 3000.1

8 6.5 Soundstream SME.658 - Soundstream TN4.900D

4 NX-5 Super Tweeters

Archived