Second Skin Audio

Efficient Trunk Bass?

Hey Guys,

I am about to start a system in a 67 Chevy, which has an absolutely HUGE trunk. I will be doing the front stage, wires, and deck tomorrow, but I have to build the box after that. Therein lies the issue:

I have absolutely never been a fan of putting speaker boxes into trunks because it is very inefficient. Subs are going to make the trunk lid and trunk itself resonate, no matter what kind of damping material you put on it. After that, it's simple physics. If something is moving, it is because something is MAKING it move. If your trunk is moving, it is because your hard earned amplifier power and woofer displacement is being wasted making IT move instead of making the mic or your ears move.

SO, I'm looking to start a discussion on the most efficient way to put subs in a trunk. Personally, I think sealing the subs into the car through the trunk or deck lid is the way to go (thereby taking the trunk out of the equation entirely except as a convenient storage space), but I would definitely like to hear your input.

Feel free to chime in with any experiences whatsoever with trunk bass. I think we can put our heads together and come up with the PERFECT trunk application.

What about bandpass vented through the deck? Keep in mind that guys do like to have their rear seats up at least some of the time.

i 4rth ordered in my car through the armrest no reason you couldnt use existing holes in package tray..

07 mote carlo..

deh-p800prs hu-cdt gold 6.5's-cdt 6x9 2 ways-mcintosh mc431m(mids/highs)

bxi2608,2 10w7's in 4rth order(designed by pete k)ported into cabin via armrest cutout

dc power 260 amp alt-missing link module (15.4v)kicker 1/0 kit deka intimidator under hood

metered 141.0 @ 32hz windows down @ kick,termlab

This car was made before armrests in cars were even thought about. Its back seat is like one big piece of leather. I was considering venting the subs through the rear deck, since I'm making one anyways, but I don't know if I will be satisfied with a bandpass box. I'm a fan of subs that can do everything; drop low AND slam. I've never heard a bandpass that I would want to listen to everyday. You?

i agree about the bandpass thing, i dont like the sound of it (although some people on here may love it)

personally i felt the same way and did the subs in the parcel shelf, still a work in progress though, imo what i did or something similar (like a sealed box in the parcel shelf, ported box subs/port up, or like i did, subs up and port forward) is a nice way to go bot SQ and SPL wise, since the pressure goes to sound in the cabin, not jiggling my trunk lid around

feel free to check my build for an idea or two, and i think KaponeSS did something similar in an impala

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

port through the rear deck and have a nice amp rack so when you open the trunk you still get all the oooo's and aaaaa's

justin smith

1996 mercury grand marquis

20'' bentchi b7 lexani n3000 245/35/20

cactus 5kw at 1ohm dcr(beast)

2 18'' btl's in a 14.15^ft wall tuned to 35hz with 210'' of port

kicker zx650.4

componets in still the works

200amp motorcraft alt

xs power d3100 (beast)

kenwood ddx512 h.u.

you mean my EX? the one I dumped? just remember every time you kiss her that i used to cum in her mouth

and BTW your girl just called me....

pure pwnage

That's what I'm probably going to do. Seal the subs into the car through the seat hole, then run the sub port through the rear deck. That way, even when he has his leather back seat up, he'll still have the output from the port right there in the car.

I heard somewhere once that facing the subs back actually helps to even out frequencies, i cant remember exactly how...I know that when I ran my Alpines up at the parcel shelf, I lost their higher range and their super low range...

Too many projects, too little time...

I've toyed with designs for a 6th order, just a normal box with everything firing forward into a chamber that is 'ported' with an extremely large and short vent either through the armrest of rear tray.

Should sound just like a normal box but with no sound going backwards and without having to do all the cutting/sealing usually required with firing everything forward.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!