Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Sealed Tunnel Vs "port" Subs


Neo_frog

Recommended Posts

Posted

First off, I hate bothering people with questions, but research hasn't yielded any good information regarding this topic. I know someone will have good advice about this...

If one were to do a sealed tunnel enclosure, would ANY sub work because it's essentially acting as a 4th order bandpass? If one were to do a tunnel, most higher end subs are recommended for ported applications based on their specs and it would be hard to find subs taking 2kw RMS that were recommended for sealed (or could at least withstand the application).

So what's the determining factor in an enclosure (or sub) that would allow one to break this recommendation with good results? And has anyone found info regarding tunnels? Thanks in advance.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]


Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Posted
First off, I hate bothering people with questions, but research hasn't yielded any good information regarding this topic. I know someone will have good advice about this...

If one were to do a sealed tunnel enclosure, would ANY sub work because it's essentially acting as a 4th order bandpass? If one were to do a tunnel, most higher end subs are recommended for ported applications based on their specs and it would be hard to find subs taking 2kw RMS that were recommended for sealed (or could at least withstand the application).

So what's the determining factor in an enclosure (or sub) that would allow one to break this recommendation with good results? And has anyone found info regarding tunnels? Thanks in advance.

The sub must be able to go into a sealed box in order to do a 4th order I forget but ether the qts or qs has to be low to go onto a sealed box team bassick joey got custom aa mayhems to do his 4th order the regular ones can't because theyvare for ported only that's my exp. With it

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Posted
The sub must be able to go into a sealed box in order to do a 4th order I forget but ether the qts or qs has to be low to go onto a sealed box team bassick joey got custom aa mayhems to do his 4th order the regular ones can't because theyvare for ported only that's my exp. With it

Yeah I remember him telling me about it at SBN, but didn't get much info other than he had them custom made.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]


Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Posted
Yeah I remember him telling me about it at SBN, but didn't get much info other than he had them custom made.

Lol wrong guy he was not at sbn must of been another guy with custom subs to do a 4th order read up on the qts and qs of a sub and that tells you if the sub will be able to go seal/4th order sorry my cheat book is at the shop or I would be able to tell you what ether the qts or qs needs to be then you can just look at the subs specs and know If it would work or not

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Posted

I think most of the time if the qts is above 0.40, it's recommended for a sealed box, but can be ran in a ported one also.

AudioControl
Rockford Fosgate
XSPower

a9cb521a-b3b0-4848-8950-41c45879dd3f_zps

Posted
Lol wrong guy he was not at sbn must of been another guy with custom subs to do a 4th order read up on the qts and qs of a sub and that tells you if the sub will be able to go seal/4th order sorry my cheat book is at the shop or I would be able to tell you what ether the qts or qs needs to be then you can just look at the subs specs and know If it would work or not

Ah. Yeah there was a guy with custom Mayhems so I figured it was him. I'll look into it a little more then.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]


Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 2155 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...