Second Skin Audio

First System Help

I'm in high school with only a part-time job so I can't be buying the best of the best like a lot of you guys are but this is what I have come up with,

I was thinking of getting two 12" Alpine Type - R 4ohm DVC wired down to 1-ohm at the amp. I was recommended a Hifonics BXi2010D amp that puts out 2000RMS @ 1-ohm. Now that would put 1000RMS to each sub when their rated for 500RMS, so would the BXi1210D be better at 1200RMS @ 1-ohm giving each sub 600RMS? Should I get a different amp than Hifonics altogether?

I mainly listen to rock and some rap, should I go with a ported or sealed box? Where's the best place to get one for the Type - R? How hard would it be to build my own?

Also I drive a hatchback (2003 Hyundai Tiburon) so would two 12" subs be too much, should I go with two 10" subs? Should I go with something besides the Alpine's that are close in price?

I have a Pioneer DEH-P4900iB head unit.

Please excuse the noobness and thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Update in case people are only reading the first post:

So I've been doing a lot of reading and looking around and now I'm kind of geared towards one or two Fi Q 12"s. If I go with two I was looking at the Audioque 2200D, but I haven't really looked for an amp if I only go with one, so I'm kind of set on two but I'm worried about it being too loud. What kind of electrical upgrades would I have to do for two of them?

Now I was thinking of building my box, I'm debating between ported or sealed, haven't really decided which one I want to go with yet. My max trunk space is 36" wide, 15" high. I can go kind of deep, can't remember the exact measurement right now but how deep would I have to go for a box with that width and height? Pictures of trunk space and measurements on page 2.

Does this seem good for a hatchback? That's why I'm mainly worried about two 12's being too loud.

Edited by g8m3rtag

I have a hatchback too and with one 12' Type-R with a 650rms amp and it pounds! It def can handle more but dunno if it can handle 1000 rms consistently. If you get 2 12's for a hatchback its gonna be loud with good quality. I'd stay with the 12's. Id reccomend some dynamat for the trunk door to make it sound extra clean and low. Look around for pricing on them, i got mine at ABT and they did the installation perfectly.

Edited by ChiefDankBud

2003 Pontiac Vibe Dark Red

18" Motegi MR-7's

2 Alpine Type-R 6.5" Coaxial Speakers on the front doors

Alpine CDA Head Unit w/IPod Cable

Alpine V-Power mono mr650

12" Alpine Type-R(2 Ohm) Subwoofer

Dynamat in the trunk with the liscense plate and,

2 Stock tweaters in the front, with the stock speakers in the back seats

Whats your budget?

i'm running two 12" type Rs on a fosgate T1500 and i like em, they are ok. i want more though.

the Hifonics Bxi2010D is aroud ~$300 on ebay.

you might as well buy a rockford fosgate amp for a little less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-MADE-...p3286.m20.l1116

~1000RMS Bridged @ 2 ohms.

just get yourself a couple 2ohm alpines and your set

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-ALPINE-SWR-1222D-12-...93%3A1|294%3A50

Edited by St.Ides

TNCB

....my damn room was shaking, im like wtf is this how am i gonna die jakin off to vida guerra?

DC audio lvl4 whatever size you want and DAT 1000.1 budget-ish gear thats way bad ass, even my broke ass can afford it :)

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

DC audio lvl4 whatever size you want and DAT 1000.1 budget-ish gear thats way bad ass, even my broke ass can afford it :)

i dunno man. he's still in highschool and has a part time job. i kind of know where he's coming from. the Lv4's might be a little out of his price range.

Lv3's would be more in his price range ( but preform much better than the alpine type R's)

*My opinion :unknw:

Edited by St.Ides

TNCB

....my damn room was shaking, im like wtf is this how am i gonna die jakin off to vida guerra?

true, but my budget is tighter than a well diggers ass, and I got them, just had to scrimp and save a little. and I'm unemployed

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

I would suggust the Fi Car Audios BL 12's with the Sundown SAZ2000D amp. I would go ported at 33hz. The amp is on sale for 425 in a preorder stage and should be in late june its worth the wait and its 1ohm stable. In the mean time you can buy the knu Koncepts 1/0 wire and im suggusting the powermaster xs batterys.

This is all pretty much budget minded. Im getting the saz2000d and the btl 12" or DC lvl 5 12" and they should should good for only one 12" woofer.

I wouldnt suggust hifonics either from what i read they dont do near rated rms... Way overrated. Try not to skimp on subs and amps. Get what you want the first time and do your research and you will save money in the end even if it takes you longer to get the equipment. I have been waiting forever with my parttime job also. 25 hrs a week ftw

Edited by fis10

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

Try not to skimp on subs and amps. Get what you want the first time and do your research and you will save money in the end even if it takes you longer to get the equipment.

On the real. this has to be the best shit i've ever quoted. Basically said everything there is to say. I wish i woulda read this advice when i first started my audio journey

:drinks:

Edited by St.Ides

TNCB

On the real. this has to be the best shit i've ever quoted. Basically said everything there is to say. I wish i woulda read this advice when i first started my audio journey

:drinks:

true that. man to be honest with you...i used to have 2 12" type r's they werent bad...but when they got stolen i saved my cash for a while, and bought a t1k rockford amp and a 15" Fi bl. and trust me. its worth it to wait for shit. you may be mad you dont have bump at first....but when it all comes together....you may be out bumping your friends. :spiteful: