Amplifier Ohm Rating And Its Effect On Your Electrical

I don't know if I will be able to explain this properly but

If I buy a mid-range powered amplifier, like 1500 RMS @ 1 ohm, but wire it to 4 ohms for 600 WRMS, would the demand on the electrical system be the same as if I ran an amplifier that was 600 WRMS at 1 ohm?

Basically, which would be the "easiest" to power, a higher powered amp at a higher resistance, or a lower powered one at a lower one?

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Guest KyleCannon

If you ran a 1500RMS amp at 4 ohms instead of one it will be easier on your electrical..... this is because it is more efficient to run at that level. Someone correct me if i am wrong

for example:

P500-1bd @ 1 = 70% efficiency versus a T100-1bd at 4ohm = 87% efficient

If you ran a 1500RMS amp at 4 ohms instead of one it will be easier on your electrical..... this is because it is more efficient to run at that level. Someone correct me if i am wrong

for example:

P500-1bd @ 1 = 70% efficiency versus a T100-1bd at 4ohm = 87% efficient

That's what I was originally thinking, but then I was thinking (and bear with me as my knowledge of amplifiers, and electrical devices in general is limited) that since you have more capacitors in the larger amplifier that need to be powered, it would draw more power.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

The power supply might have more storage capacitance in the larger amp but these don't consume large quantities of energy by themselves, they merely store it until it's needed by the speakers.

Using a larger amp at a higher ohm load will almost always be easier to run due to increased efficiency. I've noticed this in person switching from my old amps to a SAZ-3000D @ 2 ohms.

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

It depends on the voltage. Power is voltage X Current, so if the circuitry operates at a higher voltage, less current is drawn

Furthermore, 600W is 600W, whether it be at 1 ohm or a million ohms.

Archived