Sonic Electronix

ok i just sold my Fibl12'' subwoofer to a guy and he has my same truck and everything as me. well he calls me telling me that when he turns up the volume to high, the sub starts to cut in and out type thing. i ask him is the amp cutting off and he said no its the woofer. these are the questions that ive asked and im trying to come up with a problem area.

******his box is tuned to 17hz*************

just with the box at 17hz makes it pretty obvious it is the box not the subwoofer.

i walked him through the amp wireing, fuse from batt to amp, sub wiring, ohm load wiring, gain controle, subsonic filiter (goes down to 15hz so i told him to try 18hz subsonic and he said it sounded better but still does it just not as bad. (he had it set to 50hz subsonic )

my guess is that its the box and nothing else because nobody has a box at 17hz.

**********he also brung it to a audio shop in his town and they told him the the sub as on its last leg and if he wanted he could trake the subwoofer in for a new one of there subwoofer in the shop. they was pretty much trying to rip him off bc the subwoofer is in 100% working order and i would never sell a broken or worn out subwoofer to someone. so i dont want him to think i sold him a bad woofer...any responces to this would be great. thanks

everything that is said in response to me, will be show to him

2 AQ 10'' HDC3 copper subs

1 3500d AQ amp

146.3db on TL with stock electrical in single cab truck at 32hz

RESULT: 1st place at comp, 3rd overall out of 20 cars

what amp is he running? what power does he have backing it? im not sure how many people on here know exactly what you have

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

what amp is he running? what power does he have backing it? im not sure how many people on here know exactly what you have

its not me, but just a guy i sold my woofer to. hes still learning

he got a hifonics amp that stable at 1ohm so hes running it 1000rms @1ohh. pretty much wired like i used to have it. its not the amp bc it dont go in protection, not the ohm, not the fuse.

the amp and sub is hooked up correctly, all i have to go by is he has the box at 17hz bc he messed up, i told him to stop playing it so he dont mess anything up

1 3500d AQ amp

Well I know you wouldn't sell a bad sub, but you should never rule it out. Cutting in and out could be a bunch of things...

Has he watched the amp to see if the protect light comes on and off or the power light dims? Could be the wrong wiring or voltage issues. And possible gain being set too high.

Is the amp mounted ON the box? The amp shouldn't be exposed to vibration. Check if all of the terminals are tight or relocate it to see if it fixes the problem.

Does he understand clipping? He may have blared it way too long and actually damaged the sub. It'll still play, but cut out at high volumes.

Has he inspected the motor? Check the leads to make sure they are intact and everything else looks good. Push on the sub to listen for unnatural noise, check the impedance of each coil (should be very close to the same), check the final ohm load, etc...

Although the box could play a role in blowing a sub, it's usually user error. He's tuned so low that the sub won't have problems dropping to low notes. If there's anything being sent to it lower though, the sub will bottom out. Make sure that (even though he set the subsonic) there's not a filter switch on the amp. Set the LPF at 50-80hZ and set the gain with a scope or DMM at the least.

Hope I helped a little man. But not having it in front of me makes it hard to troubleshoot over a thread.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

it could be one of dozens of things. noone really mentioned rca's or headunit problem.

try putting a different sub in there and seeing what happens yet?

is it really 17hz or does he think its 17? considering how strange that is, i wouldnt rule it out as being incorrect (and it being like a 47hz box and he bottomed it out or something)

have you actually inspected it or are you just troubleshooting over the phone?

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

what amp is he using and what impedance is the sub? and yeah that box needs to go.

Need any thing chromed? Hit me up!!!

gamer tag: (360)

mEmEnToMoRi64

My Myspace

refs:

from here: RollinSoLow, Derrick824, Ray

from c.a.c.o. : teamsubgopoof, splvictim20, SundownAudioNY

from C.A.J. : Donpisto, spladdict19, CAJunkyard, JBLCAMRY, DasBot (robot underground)

from ca.com: alxmlr789,photocrazy8

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

2c27c692.jpg

well the reason i asked that is because you said he had the same truck and same everything as you had...

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

yeah i know what u mean on not excluding the subwoofer but i know how i played it and having the sub for 6months, ive never over powered or distorted it at anypoint. sub was in 100%condition when it left me and i could of played it for another 6months if i needed to.

the amp is on his floor board in the front so its not on any metal or getting to much vibration. hes a little confused on the settings on the amp so i know that something is off a little with that.

i just dont want thim to mess up the sub, then say i sold him a bad woofer and want his money back or something like that.

1 3500d AQ amp