question

People say even adding body kits can destroy SPL, or atleast drop there spl by a whole point (seen that somewhere in this forum) I have even heard of simple things like carpeting a box ( I think is BS, but who knows) can lower a score some. But I bet a high, wind velocity from a port can be damaging to a score. Personally, when I do ported boxes, I try and keep SQ boxes, the port area I keep as close to 1/4 the area of the cone, per sub, and go for longer ports, then SPL set ups, I go for 1/2 cone area to port area ratio, so a 12" with about 90square inch cone, I would do a 45 sq inch port, and round the port on the inside, and outside. When I worked for the speaker company I  rescently left, we even decided to stay with ports with all even sides, like square port, or close to square, and aero ports to keep wind noise down (for home audio applications)

if you notice, doing a larger port, will reduce the wind velocity alot.

Also, what I have learned is that a port , dont think of it as a vent, pressing, and sucking air in and out, think of it this way, "A port is where the air atoms resonate inside the port, at the tunning point, not moving in and out, but just vibrating in place- the larger the port, the more atoms vibrate inside the port, hence a louder, higher spl you should acheive" This is why I use transmission line enclosures all the time, all that air inside the transmission line, vibratating all those air atoms, easy way to gain high SPL gains, with barely even getting the speaker moveing at all.

that was my 5cents on ports ;D

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.