Sundown Audio

Does This Seem Right?

Guest GPMACHINE

Guest GPMACHINE

I bought a Kicker KX1200.1 and it just doesn't seem as loud as it should be. I'm looking to get some sort of answer to see if it's me that's nuts or my amp!

I currently have a 8 gauge power wire and ground with a 40 amp fuse on it hooked up from a older amp. I had a shop test my power wire to see how many amps my amp was pulling. It peaked at 20 amps on a bass music track... Does that seem right? I have 2 Kicker compvr 10" subs running at 1ohm connected to it so i thought i should see something higher like 100amps... The birth sheet to the amp read 1440 watts of actual power... Any ideas? - Thanks, Bob

The first problem I see is your power and ground wire is too small. for 1000watts you should be running 4gauge wire nothing less. you are getting too much resistance with the 8 gauge.

What gauge wire are you running to the subs would be my next question.

Ground location?

Is this the only amp you are running in the system?

What kind of battery do you have and how old is it?

SMDsigbannr4.jpg-

ya upgrade the wire dude go 4 gauge or 1/0 gauge

System Specs:

Alpine SWR-1542D 15" sub

Sealed Subwoofer Box

MTX mxa 6001 Class D 774watts RMS @ 2ohms

MTX Bass Knob

Pioneer 6.5's in doors

MTX Thunderdome 6x9 in rear

Stinger 1 Farad capacitor

80 amp stinger fuse

BIG 3 in 4 gauge wire

4 gauge power/ground wire

JVC MP3 CD Car Deck (KD-G320)

12 gauge Monster speaker wire to Sub

16 gauge Stinger speaker wire to doors

Stinger Gold Plated Battery Terminals

First off upgrade your power wire and ground to atleast a 4guage wire as stated by others

Second read the owners manual for the correct inline fuse/breaker most 1000rms amps require atleast a 100amp fuse/breaker

Third check your subs to make sure you wired them correctly, sometimes people accidently wire dual voice coils wrong

Fourth you sub enclosure(s) could be another reason.

i could start this by saying everything the last 4 ppl said or i can say........do what they said :D

To Slide Sideways Or Not To Slide Sideways?

Head unit: Pioneer AVH-5000DVDSpeakers: 4 Pionner TS-G6842R Amplifier: Alpine MRD-300Subwoofers: 10" JL

Guest GPMACHINE

Ya, i knew i should have said i have 1/0 gauge ready to be installed tomorrow... Oh well *shrugs* Tomorrow/today i will put in the 1/0 gauge and have the same song playing at the same volume and use the shops same tester to see if there is any change in current. 20 amps just seems way off but I've never really done this sort of thing before so... Is there a test tone that would be better to use instead of a bass music track?

I do get a very slight dimming of the lights when i have the volume cranked up. It's so slight though that i have to actually stare at the lights to notice. If i was looking at anything else i would not know it was happening. Even at night. I was told that amps x volts = watts. So my 20ampsx14(let's say)volts = 280 watts? WTF is that about?!?! Again, is it me that's nuts or do i maybe have a bum amp?

As far as the subs go, they are dual 4 ohm and wired correctly for a 1ohm load. The battery on the other hand I'm not sure about. It starts the van np so i just figured it was good. I wanted to throw in a optima red top but just wasn't ready to do it now.

Thanks for your help guys - Bob

Archived