Tahoe Head Unit Install Help

sean 371

Gah i hate asking for help on something so basic, but hey, what can i say. So I picked up a 2000 tahoe today, and tried installing my head unit out of my old car. Wired up the harnesses, plugged it in to test it, no sound. Head unit fires up, but nothings coming out of the speakers. Theres a second harness that was plugged into the stock radio, which i left hanging there. I'm guessing this is the problem. I'm inclined to think that i need that 80 dollar harness that takes care of the door chime, etc., but I thought GM didnt start that until around 02 or 03?? Plus, the stock harness has the dividers in the plastic plug, while the ones I've seen that need the special harness don't have them. Let me know if I should be ordering one of those or if I did something else wrong here. Thanks guys.

I'm building a temporary box today until i have enough cash for subs, so I'll be posting build pics tonight sometime.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

Hey man, this is a forum where everybody learns from eachother so dont be afraid to ask anything! Sounds to me that the extra harness probably IS ur problem, and yes chevy does go the extra mile just to get some more money outte you. why else would the harness be $80? anyways I dont know for certain on ur issue but I do know this: Steve's tahoe is a 2001 and he's said himself that his on-star stuff was hooked up through his radio harness and said f-it and just started splicing wires cuz it didnt pay to start buyin all that pointless lil shit. But yeah, dont think chevy's gonna make it a 123 process to get that radio in. all kinds of stuff can mess up in there without the right EXPENSIVE wire kit.

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

Yea, I trust myself with any sort of basic installation, but I don't trust myself to take on rewiring up the whole thing. I'll probably just go with the harness. I'm guessing its for the tape deck, stock sub, and all the door chime/other stuff. Anyone got a link to one that does the job? I've seen a couple on sonic, but maybe theres a better deal out there.

Unless, Steve, is there an easy way around this?

Subwoofer Wall

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-h6jvnDiTQIS/c...mp;I=127OS1BOSE

thats the one with onstar and bose. search through crutchfield and find out what you need exactly. sometimes those wires control your airbag too so you can get messed up bad w.o that. also, i went to go install a stereo into my neighbors car for free, but i found out (99 cavalier, or 2000) that she needed it.

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

all you should need is a 70-1858 from metra. There is no amp bypass or amp intigration unit.

CHEVROLET Tahoe 1995 2002 99-3002 99-4000 99-3002 N/A 70-1858 71-1858 72-4568 82-3002 44-GM92 N/A N/R 40-GM10 40-GM21 DOOR 6 3/4 OVRHEAD 4X10 DOOR 6 1/2

Its all about the Install !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/audioaddiction863

tripleA.jpg

Bass Race Florida State Champ runner up 139.9 2008

Bass Boxing Florida State Champ runner up Middleweight 2008

It doesnt have onstar or bose. It does have a stock 8" sub in the back though. Yea I've heard stuff about it controlling the airbags, so I definately want to get the right one.

Subwoofer Wall

These all are centered on the door chime mechanism. How do I know that they also control airbags, etc?

And on all of those, the main harness is an "open style" harness, whereas mine has the dividers...So that $99 bose one looks like it would work, but I don't even have bose!

Well I'll double check that though I've only had the car 2 days.

Subwoofer Wall

I just went through this today. If you look at the back of the stcok H/U there are two harnesses. One main one and one second one that is smaller. On the second one will be a pink wire. You need to splice the pink wire to the remote turn-on off your new H/U. This wire turns on the factory amp.

Archived